Do SAT scores expire?

Do SAT scores ever expire? Do universities have their own individual timetable of validity? I can't find it on stupid http://www.collegeboard.com/ .
posted by H Carl to Education (12 answers total)

I know GRE scores do. Prolly best to inquire at the specific universities you are applying to.
posted by edgeways at 10:17 PM on February 22, 2008

SAT scores are only valid for five years, like GRE scores.
posted by peacheater at 10:23 PM on February 22, 2008

Curiously enough, they'll still send them.

From the website:
Official score reports that are sent to colleges five or more years after a test date are accompanied by a message explaining that they may be less valid predictors of college academic performance than more recent scores.
posted by ruevian at 10:35 PM on February 22, 2008

It depends what you want to use them for.

For college admissions, you'll generally need newer ones (especially within a couple years after a major change in the test as happened in 2005). Some for-profit schools with a minimum academic standard rather than competitive standards will take any SAT above a minimum score (they'll have an acceptable minimum score for each version of the test).

You can still qualify for MENSA with a pre-1974 test.
posted by Cricket at 10:54 PM on February 22, 2008

Five years being the average time period (plus extra time) it would take to get certified for the next level of education. This would usually be a bachelor's degree, but there's a lot of other postsecondary certifications out there.
posted by Xere at 10:58 PM on February 22, 2008

(Actually, per the link, MENSA will take scores up to 1994.)
posted by Liffey at 11:47 PM on February 22, 2008

For all college-level tests, there is a five-year threshold.
posted by parmanparman at 12:25 AM on February 23, 2008

If it helps, it is more than likely your SAT scores will be posted on your high school transcript records. If you are an adult returning to school after many years, you might have to take either the SAT's or a college administered exam placement test that measures the same thing. Don't let it stop you from returning to school! Adults returning to school are the biggest growing demographic for colleges/universities, so you will find there are many services to help you navigate your way through and have a successful outcome.
posted by 45moore45 at 6:27 AM on February 23, 2008

If you took the SAT that was scored on the old system (can't quite remember when they made the switch) you may want to note this when submitting your score. 1600 doesn't mean what it use to. None of the scores do.

posted by foxy_hedgehog at 7:14 AM on February 23, 2008

Many states do put the SAT scores on the transcripts for their students, but that is a highly controversial issue and they are not considered office score reports.

This page on the College Board site explains reporting archived scores, but this won't explain whether the institution you're reporting to is interested in your scores from 1997, 1987, or 1977. Only they can answer that and, as 45moore45 said, they may have you take placement tests.

The other tests available to you are the CLEP tests. If you've taken any college-level courses or had any work experience that can help you in the intervening years, you may be able to "CLEP out" of some of your intro-level courses for the cost of the test.

posted by wildeepdotorg at 7:55 AM on February 23, 2008

My college took the SAT/ACT scores that were on my high school transcript, and I had been out of high school for seven years or more at the time. I think it depends on the schools. Also, this scenario took place some years ago.
posted by 6:1 at 11:16 AM on February 23, 2008

Does this page on collegeboard.com help? It seems to say that pre-2002 scores are archived with them (forever?) and you can pay $20 to get a copy. As far as what universities will consider, that's a different story. Your best bet, I think, would be to contact the admissions department or department head (depending on what kind of program you're applying to) and saying "I took the SAT in 19??. Can I have my scores sent to you or will I need to retake them?"
posted by sneakin at 4:13 PM on February 23, 2008

« Older Finding anatomy poster source image?   |   I don't actually think I want to have a family for... Newer »