Super depressing winter murder movie.

Forgotten movie: Winter, small crashed plane in the woods, bag of money, resulting woes. Spoilers inside.

I remember a movie probably 10+ years old. A man and I think his brother find a crashed small plane containing dead men and a bag of money. They take the money. It corrupts them, and one man and his wife end up killing the other, and a few other people. Eventually the FBI come to town looking for the money, which was apparently from a ransom or something. They don't catch the couple, but do disclose that the serial numbers of the bills were recorded, making the cash unspendable. In the end, the couple end up with the blood of friends/relatives on their hands, and a bag of money which they can do nothing with but burn. Anyone remember this?
posted by agentofselection to Media & Arts (11 answers total)

a simple plan?
posted by Wanderlust88 at 10:14 PM on February 14, 2008

Yes.
posted by pmurray63 at 10:15 PM on February 14, 2008

Link here
posted by Wanderlust88 at 10:15 PM on February 14, 2008

A Simple Plan
posted by amyms at 10:16 PM on February 14, 2008

oops too late

Yep, thanks!
posted by agentofselection at 10:19 PM on February 14, 2008

The movie is one of my favorites and I can highly recommend the book as well. It doesn't matter if you already know the plot details, the book is very well done.
posted by Morrigan at 6:14 AM on February 15, 2008

This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and I never want to watch it again. Unrelentingly grim, with an ending more dark and haunting than the conclusion of Hamlet.
posted by BigLankyBastard at 6:18 AM on February 15, 2008

The plot of the movie, by the way, is based on The Pardoner's Tale, from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.
posted by Dasein at 6:27 AM on February 15, 2008

Read the book, it's much better than the movie!
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 9:36 AM on February 15, 2008

I remember being surprised that Raimi made a movie like this... it doesn't seem to have any of his pet flourishes or themes, really. Fella's got some range.
posted by zusty at 10:30 AM on February 15, 2008

« Older Stimulus Payment: Free money or loan?   |   Chmod 777 Risks Newer »