Contractor/Painting in Austin/Round Rock

Any good general contractors/painters in the Austin/Round Rock, TX area, or a good "contractor review" web site that can point me to one?

I just bought a house, and our 2-story living room needs to be painted. I'd love to pay someone to come over, toss up a ladder, and paint it. Unfortunately, I haven't found any good resources online to find a reputable contractor to do the job. Any suggestions on a site (or a contractor) to use?
posted by cebailey to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I imagine some of the Austin housebloggers can point you in the right direction. They seem to have experiences with good contractors in that area.
posted by jeanmari at 9:43 AM on February 12, 2008

Have you tried Angieslist?
posted by Admiral Haddock at 9:57 AM on February 12, 2008

There is Angie's List for reviews of contractors. I have a couple of negative comments about Austin area painters/contractors that I'd rather mention over MefiMail or the email in my profile (if you're interested).
posted by mattbucher at 9:58 AM on February 12, 2008

FYI, Angies List might not be the best place to get unbiased reviews anymore. Fewer and fewer negative reviews are being published by the Angies List staff because contractors also pay ($350 a month I've heard?) for being on Angies List. There seems to be a conflict of interest that is being talked about quite a bit in the homeowner community these days.
posted by jeanmari at 10:03 AM on February 12, 2008 [1 favorite]

An alternative to Angie's List is Service Magic.
posted by mattbucher at 10:13 AM on February 12, 2008

We've had some good luck with guys from Craigslist -- decent job and very affordable. If you want specific names, MefiMail me and I can give you their contact info.
posted by katemonster at 11:47 AM on February 12, 2008

« Older looking for weekend trip ideas from dc   |   Can I fit a bigger battery in my UPS? Newer »