Lost Young Adult Title, Ancient Egypt

BookFilter: Young adult genre, ancient Egypt, cat, young baker.

I read this YA novel back in the late seventies. If I recall correctly, it was a time travel story involving a pet cat and a boy living in ancient Egypt. The one scene that really stands out for me involves the boy baking an elaborate loaf of bread shaped like a cat? a building? and having his heart sink as he watches it be thoughtlessly consumed by his masters.

Anyone?
posted by maryh to Grab Bag (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Is it Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander?
posted by lemuria at 11:51 PM on February 10, 2008

Response by poster: lemuria, that sounds like it could be right, except that I remember this story being a stand alone book- maybe one in a series. I'll google the author and see if I can find more info. Thanks!
posted by maryh at 12:11 AM on February 11, 2008

I'm pretty sure Time Cat is a stand-alone. And I remember they spent time in ancient Egypt. But I haven't read it since the late seventies, either, and the details are fuzzy.
posted by Pater Aletheias at 9:27 AM on February 11, 2008

Here it is on Google books.
posted by Pater Aletheias at 9:29 AM on February 11, 2008

Response by poster: Well, after some hardcore googling, t turns out that the book I'm looking for is called Christophe in Egypt: The Odyssey of Pharaoh's Cat by Inge Fischer. Ridiculously similar plots, and both books were published around the same year! Thanks to everybody for the input- Time Cat sounds like a lot of fun too.
posted by maryh at 10:46 AM on February 11, 2008

« Older Tell me about remote starters for cars.   |   Calling Montgomery Scott... Newer »