Translate Acueta for me

What does "acueta" mean? I'm guessing that's Spanish, but Google Translate's not helping. It might not be a word at all, but that's why I'm asking.

I just had a dream with that word in it a couple of days ago. I could actually mean "Agueda," spanish for mountain, but maybe not. It could mean "acuesta," which is "lying," but it's out of context in my dream. Any help appreciated.
posted by drea to Writing & Language (9 answers total)

With no context, that's a pretty tall order. Looking for "acueta" on Word Reference gave these alternatives. I'll let you look into whichever ones seem the most likely.
cauta, asceta, cuenta, cuesta, cuneta, acera, acta, careta, caseta, cateta, escueta

In the Italian-to-English dictionary, WR suggests these:
asceta, accetta, Creta, aceto, acuto, creta, accesa, atleta, cauto, acqueo, aculeo

Obviously those that start with a hard "c" are probably not what you're looking for, unless it was two words, "a cuesta" e.g. Are you sure about that spelling? Are you transliterating based on knowledge of written Spanish? Some more information would be useful for answering your question.
posted by HE Amb. T. S. L. DuVal at 7:41 PM on February 8, 2008

Almost all of the occurrences of acueta in Google appear to be typos of acuesta.

Considering it was a dream it is entirely possible it isn't really a word. I have dreams with made up words in then all the time.
posted by birdherder at 8:00 PM on February 8, 2008

All i remember is I was referring to a possession of mine as my "acueta."
posted by drea at 8:04 PM on February 8, 2008

The word appears on this page about Lingua Franca Nova. A quick glance at the dictionary and grammar rules didn't lead me to any conclusions, but maybe there's a constructed language specialist in the house?
posted by gnomeloaf at 8:55 PM on February 8, 2008

Isn't the Spanish word for mountain "la montaƱa"?

Even if one believes that dreams have a meaning and aren't random, surely your brain is not accessing the ability to speak languages that you don't know... right?
posted by kosmonaut at 8:59 PM on February 8, 2008

Paging Fox Mulder...
posted by Electrius at 11:31 PM on February 8, 2008

To lay down
posted by Crotalus at 11:42 PM on February 8, 2008

The best I can offer is a slight mishearing of "acuita" (given the "i" in spanish is pronounced "eee"). It means "he/she grieves", whch is suitable dreamesque. That said, it's a dream - just because it sounds like a Spanish word, it doesn't mean it is! :-)
posted by benzo8 at 2:31 AM on February 9, 2008

seconding Crotalus, acuesta from "acostar", meaning to lie down.
posted by mynameismandab at 9:59 AM on February 9, 2008

« Older Is there a program out there that will turn on my...   |   Where is the switch? Newer »