Firefox extension for long URLs?

Is there a Firefox extension that will let me edit long URLs on multiple lines, or do I have to keep editing them in text editors and copying them over?

I work with some web services that have huge URLs. Scrolling horizontally in the URL field is a nightmare, especially when everything looks the same. I currently compose my testing URLs in a text editor and copy them over, but it would be nice if I could do it in the browser. I'm looking for something that expands the URL field to multiple lines and then it'll parse out tabs and newlines when I finish the request.
posted by neustile to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Are you talking about in the address field on the browser or when you are putting something in page form, like MeFi for example.
posted by slavlin at 8:35 AM on February 4, 2008

I used to use Open Long URL. Don't know if it still works.
posted by grouse at 8:40 AM on February 4, 2008

Response by poster: Address field, not forms.

While close, the Open Long Urls extension isn't what I want -- that opens a new (annoying modal) window and also strips whitespace instead of replacing it with %20s. I want something that can actually modify the URL bar to make it bigger.
posted by neustile at 8:41 AM on February 4, 2008

You might find the Poster add-on useful
posted by todd at 9:45 AM on February 4, 2008 [1 favorite]

I believe TinyURL is the most widely used. There's a handy Firefox extension that is a breeze to use.
posted by kdern at 10:25 AM on February 4, 2008

Response by poster: todd, thanks for poster, which I didn't know about and will be useful for other stuff, but still not what I'm looking for.

kdern: thank you but you're misunderstanding the question. I'm looking for something that will let me edit very long URLs, not compress them.
posted by neustile at 10:30 AM on February 4, 2008

I'm assuming you know about the

editor.singleLine.pasteNewlines

setting in about:config

So you could copy a long url, paste to text editor, put on multiple lines, fix and copy back without having to make a single line again. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it does help with this kind of thing.
posted by idb at 10:42 AM on February 4, 2008

« Older Do cats have the "terrible twos" phase as well?   |   Help me find a wedding song to perform. Newer »