Mobile Internet Plans

What's a good *affordable and reliable* mobile phone internet plan for traveling around Southeast Asia?

I'm not too sure what the official name for the service is. What I want to do is hook-up my Mac to my Cingular branded phone such that I am able to use it as a quasi-broadband modem.

If specific countries help, consider Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, etc.

posted by jne1813 to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Have you ever been to any of these places before? While I have never looked for mobile Internet while I was there, I have been to this area 6 times for up to 3 months at a time (business and backpacking) and my gut reaction is that reliable mobile internet access does not exist outside of Bangkok.

You best bet is to just have a USB based thumb drive and move your data from your laptop to a internet cafe computer and then upload onto the 'net.

If you need to do online work using your computer (rather than just uploading), I think you are out of luck.

I am interested to hear what others have to say.
posted by FastGorilla at 1:00 PM on January 28, 2008

I am pretty sure that those countries don't have significant 3G presence, so regardless of what plan/card you are using you are going to be stuck with very slow (like 9.6kbps) data rates. I'm not totally sure about that, but my experience in the Philippines was that no one was using their phones to browse the web, or really anything beyond calling and texting.

On the other hand, there is a lot of free wifi available, and even when you have to pay for it it's likely to be extremely affordable. So depending on how time sensitive your work is, I would imagine it would be pretty easy to get online with a laptop in coffeeshops, airports, hotels, and (some) internet cafes.
posted by allen8219 at 1:12 PM on January 28, 2008

« Older What's good on the net for a 3-year-old?   |   How much per gram for 14kt gold necklace? Newer »