Web service best practices

Where can I find more information on web service best practices?

We're hiring some people to write some web services for us in asp.net. I need to put together a best practices document for them but I've only consumed web services, never written them. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can learn more about what makes a good web service vs a bad one?
posted by TungstenChef to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

There's not a lot of standardization yet around the vague concept of "web services." Flickr's API handles all the more common request and response formats, so you might want to look at that to decide which formats you prefer. Flickr's also a good example of well-documented web services, which is key no matter which formats you use.
posted by scottreynen at 11:29 AM on January 28, 2008

RESTful Web Services should be a good start.
posted by rjt at 1:23 PM on January 28, 2008

Two primary principles should be REST and KISS.
posted by rhizome at 1:50 PM on January 28, 2008

Seconding RESTful Web Services. Even if you use a more RPC-like model, it's still useful to think about best practices from a REST point of view, and try to preserve as many advantages of REST as you can. The Ruby/Richardson book is opinionated, but it's nonetheless a great introduction to web service architecture.
posted by mbrubeck at 3:49 PM on January 28, 2008

Please do your API's users a favor and read RESTful Web Services. Make sure the people you hire read it too.

Disclaimer: I contributed about 10 pages to that book.
posted by jacobian at 4:31 PM on January 28, 2008

« Older Ayudame!   |   Size comparison of Asic Onitsukas and Adidas? Newer »