How can I get a news feed out of my facebook group and into an external website?

I just set up a facebook group for my organization. We already have an external site, and it's a bother updating the blog there (it's mamblog, under Joomla - eww) - much easier to just do it in facebook, but of course not everyone is a facebook member (or wants to be).

What I want to do is get the rss feed for the group's "recent news" and splodge it onto my external site. But all I can see from extensive googling is people getting feeds *into* facebook from other sites. Any thoughts? Is there a really simple rss button I'm missing somewhere on my group page?
posted by media_itoku to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't think so. Recent News isn't even structured, it's just a big text field.
posted by grouse at 7:18 AM on January 28, 2008

Put facebook apps on any webpage.
posted by rhizome at 1:57 PM on January 28, 2008

Wouldn't the user have to log into Facebook, rhizome? Not to mention programming that thing would be a pain.
posted by grouse at 2:01 PM on January 28, 2008

It was just announced/released on Friday and I haven't really looked into it too much, but my impression is that it uses an app key (like Google apps, Amazon affiliates, etc.). As far as I know, it is indeed a coding task to make this happen. I'm also talking out of my ass a bit in that I don't know how RSS behaves in this context. Is it authenticated?
posted by rhizome at 1:26 AM on January 29, 2008

The API to get information from a group seems to require a user ID, but I've never properly programmed Facebook, so perhaps it can be circumvented (by using the programmer's user ID each time).

RSS is usually not authenticated.
posted by grouse at 1:38 AM on January 29, 2008

« Older If you believe in climate change, is it wrong to...   |   Where can I find pictures of dead firefighters? Newer »