Will sit exam for food...

Which jobs/careers require an examination as the starting point of employment? I'm not looking for careers that require some sort of professional accreditation like passage of a bar exam or certification. I'm thinking more along the lines of the old (in the US) civil service exam. I know all about the foreign service exam and am curious what else is out there.
posted by the christopher hundreds to Work & Money (11 answers total)

Not sure what the old civil service exam entailed, but many government agencies require exams before employment. FBI agents, CIA, State department, even most local law enforcement. I know someone who was looking at working for the State Dept and he said the exam was pretty rigorous.
posted by Nelsormensch at 9:00 AM on January 24, 2008

Consulting companies (big ones like McKenzie at least) have tests as part of their interview process. They aren't quite like the civil service exam, but there are math tests, and testing your ability to work through case studies and the like.
posted by ohio at 9:06 AM on January 24, 2008

I often work as a proofreader, and there's usually a test.
posted by cincinnatus c at 9:16 AM on January 24, 2008

I tried to get a job with Union Pacific as a Management Trainee and had to take a Management Exam.
posted by JJ86 at 9:30 AM on January 24, 2008

In high school, I applied for jobs at Toys 'R' Us and Home Depot, both of which had exams as part of the application process.
posted by LionIndex at 9:51 AM on January 24, 2008

As a graphic designer, I have had to take a software aptitude test at a handful of job interviews. That is on top of showing my portfolio which showcases my abilities.
posted by phytage at 10:01 AM on January 24, 2008

The ASVAB -- Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery -- is required for enlistment into the (US) armed forces and it's pretty comprehensive. Not only do you have to score above a minimum (very low) score, but your total score and your score on the specific sections determines which jobs (ratings) you can be offered, which then determine, among other things, how much you get paid (especially enlistment bonuses), where you work, how long your minimum enlistment is, how easily you get promoted, and the big kicker, how much money you get to go to school after you leave. The best thing about it, imho, is that you can take the ASVAB and then not join the armed forces after all, but still have some quantification of "what you're good at". (Hopefully you're good at saying, "I do not wish to enlist, thanks, please take me off of your list.")
posted by anaelith at 10:02 AM on January 24, 2008

Police, fire fighters, paramedics and 911 dispatch positions all have lengthy exams.
posted by annaramma at 10:03 AM on January 24, 2008

Many jobs with the State of California require an exam, including the entry-level positions.
posted by kiripin at 10:37 AM on January 24, 2008

I also had to take a drafting (fancy measured drawing) test at one company I applied for that did drawings of airplane parts.
posted by LionIndex at 2:04 PM on January 24, 2008

Postal workers.
posted by Cricket at 10:52 PM on January 24, 2008

« Older VC Firm Interviews   |   Help me decide what to charge. Newer »