How do hotels get their artwork and how does an artist get his/her artwork into hotels?

A artist friend has some work that we think would lend itself well to mass-produced lithography (or something similar) and to settings such as hotels. How does one go about getting his/her artwork to such places?
posted by allelopath to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

There's an art trade fair for this, or maybe several. I used to have a landlord who was in this business -- basically he and his wife would contract to paint, say 300 paintings for all the rooms in a hotel. It's interior decorating and mass production, more so than art, because the "artwork" needs to match the style and colors of the place. This was some time ago, but I'm sure it hasn't changed much. Basically, you buy a booth at the art show and peddle your stuff to designers. Some of the relevant shows may be listed here. Also, Google "Interior.design.trade.shows."
posted by beagle at 8:28 AM on January 22, 2008

See also.
posted by beagle at 8:31 AM on January 22, 2008

Beyond shows, there are art factories where lines of artists churn-out generic canvases for the interior-design trade. These factories sell direct to interior design firms, corporate design departments, etc.
posted by Thorzdad at 9:09 AM on January 22, 2008

Why, they come from China, of course.

(Full disclosure: I'm the editor of the above site.)
posted by nitsuj at 9:52 AM on January 22, 2008

A friend of mine is actually an art supplier. They furnish hotels entirely. So they deal with furniture, fixtures and the (often) chintzy artwork in a hotel. They'll pick a few paintings that are essentially mass-produced for a given hotel and build around that.
posted by disillusioned at 1:34 PM on January 22, 2008

The Business section of the Photo.net discussion forums would be an excellent place to search for answers to this question (or ask it, on the off chance that it hasn't been asked there yet).
posted by allterrainbrain at 3:31 PM on January 22, 2008

disillusioned:
What is the name of the company?
posted by allelopath at 3:35 PM on January 22, 2008

« Older Why can't my computer connect to the internet...   |   How do I prevent change in access to my computer... Newer »