Recommend me a data modeling tool

I'm beginning a project to document and restructure a set of existing Microsoft SQL Server databases, and need to quickly recommend a software package for data modeling and generating a data dictionary. I'm looking for a recommendation and/or general advice, pros, cons, etc. that will help to make and justify a selection.

I last used ER/win for this purpose and found the data dictionary features to be somewhat lacking. The ancient version I was using probably bears little relation to the current product however. A couple other team members have mentioned experience using products such as "Red Brick" and "Quest" if I have the names right.
posted by Manjusri to Computers & Internet (1 answer total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Quest make Toad, which is a very good database tool (I used to use the Oracle version). They have a data modelling product as well.
posted by awfurby at 12:22 AM on February 6, 2008

« Older The goggles do nothing.   |   Looking for large womens shoes in Manhattan Newer »