Where to vacation with the whole kaboodle

I need some help in planning a vacation for a large number of people.

I appreciate any ideas as to where 6 adults and 6 children (ages 3-9) can go for 4 nights sometime in June 08. Cost is really not an issue, but I would like to keep it as reasonable as possible. For example, I was looking into staying at Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, but for only staying three full days and having people come from three different parts of the country, it seems to be a real hassle and costly.

Some requirements would be kid-freindly, a 'wow' factor, and a flight that is not over 4-5 hrs (from Chicago,Raleigh,Savannah). I don't expect the hive mind to be my travel agents, but I really am having a hard time coming up with something unique and fun.

We are open to anything from 'dude' ranches in Wyoming to sun and fun. Maybe Puerto Rico? Thanks for any thoughts.
posted by repoman to Travel & Transportation (5 answers total)

There are a lot of options in the southeast US, which would mean the Savannah and Raleigh contingents could drive. In particular, there are a lot of beaches in SC where you could rent a house with lots of options for going shrimping/crabbing/fishing among other things. I grew up going to Edisto and it is a great place for a family get-together, but there are other options.
posted by TedW at 7:38 PM on January 17, 2008

The Outer Banks of NC have a large number of large rental homes suitable for 12 people. You would be on the beach with all the usual beach related activities close by.
posted by COD at 8:02 PM on January 17, 2008

Costa Rica might be a slightly longer flight than you're looking for (looks like you can find six hours from ORD), but it's definitely growing as a kid- and family-friendly destination. There's lots of rain forests which means fun animals and zip line tours, there's kayaking and hiking and horseback riding, and you've got beaches and pretty tropical stuff for relaxing. Plus, English as a national language, nationalized health care, and a history of non-violent stable democracy.

It seems like a good combination of "exotic" and manageable.
posted by occhiblu at 9:11 PM on January 17, 2008

I'd go to Gatlinburg, rent a large cabin, and spend the time hiking in the Smoky Mountains National Park. Grill hotdogs, roast marshmallows in the picnic areas, go down to Gatlinburg and stroll down the main street, get some dinner at the Smoky Mountain Brewery (yum!). You could even, if you like that kind of thing, head over to Pigeon Forge and go to Dollyland. Kids also enjoy the Aquarium in Gatlinburg and the Ripley's Museum (which is suprisingly big inside). Pancake Pantry has the best pancakes in the world, including a cute "Bears In the Snow" kid's pancake meal: teddy-bear shaped pancake sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Lots of cabins in the area have hot tubs, some have pool tables, all have complete kitchens. We love this family vacation and it is the most economical of all that we do!
posted by misha at 8:16 AM on January 18, 2008

Oh, and if you did go to Atlantis, you need to stay in the Towers! But if you were going that route, I would take a cruise down to the Bahamas rather than stay there. More fun for the kids.
posted by misha at 8:17 AM on January 18, 2008

« Older They make sound so easy on What Not to Wear!   |   item stolen at airport from bags? Newer »