Where to find viscoelastic rubber...?

Can anyone tell me where to research/find bulk viscoelastic rubber, or molded rubber that has viscoelastic properties? I'm looking for a material that when stretched, takes its sweet time in returning to its original size/shape. Turns out there are no rubber stores in my area to browse, thus no experts to turn to. Most info I've found online is scientific discussions about rubber properties.
posted by pallen123 to Technology (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

McMaster-Carr. Search for "rubber," choose "about rubber" for some background information. You want a low-durometer material.
posted by Mapes at 6:05 PM on January 9, 2008

A common term for the property you describe is "shape memory." You might try searching for "polymer" as well as/instead of "rubber."
posted by nanojath at 6:09 PM on January 9, 2008

Thomas Register is a directory of manufacturers and distributors; their online database is ThomasNet. A search for "viscoelastic rubber" returned 282 possible suppliers of various rubber materials, and 10 for viscoelastic foam. That might help you get started.
posted by hydrophonic at 8:05 PM on January 9, 2008

« Older What to expect at the end of a car lease?   |   Does the Robert Rodriguez Mexico Trilogy box set... Newer »