Curse my gigantic head!
January 7, 2008 7:33 PM   Subscribe

I love these glasses, except that they're too narrow for my face! Any sources for larger versions of that frame? Or failing that, does this style of frame have a more specific name than "plastic half-rim"?

Here are some other* examples that are sort of the basic style, except not half-rim. Half-rim is what I'm really looking for.

And here's a picture of me in my current glasses (55mm eye width, 39mm eye height, 21mm bridge) but sans beard.

*Yes, that's mefi's own Popesquatter, Sportsfilterer and all-around class act rcade.
posted by joshuaconner to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (6 answers total)
Your current glasses look a bit too wide for your head (current trends are for smaller frames). I would advise going to an optical shop "just to look" and see what size frames fit comfortably on your head, and make a note of the widths. Most frame styles come in at least 3 different widths, so perhaps you could use the "contact" button at the online store and ask if the style you're wanting comes in a wider width.
posted by amyms at 8:23 PM on January 7, 2008

Response by poster: Good idea. And yeah, if anyone has suggestions for other glasses to consider, I'll happily take a look.
posted by joshuaconner at 8:41 PM on January 7, 2008

I too have a giant head. I have trouble buying any frames in stores, much less something a little harder to find like shurons.
I found these shurons at a flea market. It took a while of going to goodwill and flea markets before I found a pair that was wide enough.
The bonuses of finding an old used pair are that they're way cheap (I paid $5 and they are in perfect shape) and that the newer versions (at least those made by shuron) are narrower vertically. When I tried a friend's new pair the lenses didn't even go low enough to glance at my dashboard.

Short version: try thrift stores, flea markets, and estate/garage sales.
posted by gally99 at 8:43 PM on January 7, 2008

Hey there Joshua.
I've no idea how to help with the glasses thing.
But..... your current glasses are very round, as is your face. A good idea to change this. Um, your glasses, not your face.

An article I read recently by a glasses fitting person said that round faced folk should have the oblong glasses, but not in a dark colour. So gold oblong would be ideal for your face.
(I remember this because I, too, have a round face and wear glasses.) I'm waiting for my Zenni Opticals as we speak.

I have had the half frame glasses and they're a pain in the arse. They're quite fragile. I wouldn't buy them again. But that's just me, I'm pretty tough on my glasses.

Sorry I can't be helpful, but seeing as this is a lonely old thread, thought you wouldn't mind if I popped in and kept it extraneous company.

Best of luck fellow be-spectacled, round-headed, big-headed chap!
posted by taff at 9:20 PM on January 7, 2008

Assuming your current glasses fit that enormous noggin, measure the total width of your current glasses. As a fellow balloon head I find that this measurement is as crucial as the others when buying online. Also be aware that your current lense hight is taller than is in style today.

I ran across this extra wide pair of specs at Zenni that are square half frames, but are metal vs. plastic and may or may not be to your taste.
posted by SteveInMaine at 3:51 AM on January 8, 2008

I also have a husky noggin. My wife begged me for years to get a pair of half rims but all the frames I found had those little feet that push into your nose leaving a mark and a headache. She shopped around and finally found these.
posted by thewalrusispaul at 6:35 AM on January 8, 2008

« Older How can I load up my iPod from my wife's computer...   |   Photography trips in NYC area Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.