Looking for a simple art-hanging solution
January 7, 2008 1:05 PM   Subscribe

Looking for an art hanging system using wire and clamps/clips for unframed work - any ideas?

I'm looking for the hardware to hang a few pieces of unframed, mounted art on a wall using wire and clamps of sorts. The clamps will have to look good and be able to grip the art without damaging the surface. So, basically something like a nice looking binder clip that grips using rubber instead of plastic.

Does anyone own anything like this? Or have any idea where I can find some online?

posted by razorfrog to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
IKEA sells just what you're looking for. It's called "DEKA"
posted by thewalrusispaul at 1:24 PM on January 7, 2008

The generic term for the wire-tightened clip hanging kit is "gallery clips."
posted by cowbellemoo at 1:34 PM on January 7, 2008

I've used these many times with a lot of success to hang unframed artwork. The plastic "clips" do not leave any marks on the paper, and you could use any number of methods to then hook the bars to the wall or suspend them from wire.
posted by richardhay at 1:46 PM on January 7, 2008

But what if you want to do a whole bunch of 'em? I've got a set of picture cards of dim sum items and I'd like to do sort of a floating collage. The gallery clips don't look like they'd hold something so thin and the poster hangers would be too big. Would DEKA work for what I want to do?
posted by 100watts at 9:14 AM on January 8, 2008

@100watts: These are what you need for making a floating collage of thin, small items like photos or postcards. I've linked to the MOMAStore here because it was easy to find, but they're available elsewhere if you google. Enjoy!
posted by ahimsa at 6:09 PM on January 8, 2008 [1 favorite]

Ahimsa, thank you! That's perfect for the project.
posted by 100watts at 10:36 AM on January 14, 2008

« Older Best book publication methods?   |   Can my company deduct annual leave instead of sick... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.