Yes, that's me, your friendly temporary employee!

Have you worked for a temp agency in New York City? Which one?

If you had a decent experience with a temp agency, please tell me which agency. It doesn't have to be the best agency in the world, just decent.

I am looking for office work ASAP. I am qualified to work as an office manager and have a 4 year degree.

If you could give me an idea of what they offered you per hour, that would also be appreciated.
posted by sondrialiac to Work & Money (12 answers total) 18 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: Wow, great, I have experience at the Library of Congress and would love non-profit work.

Keep 'em coming, though!
posted by sondrialiac at 3:47 PM on January 3, 2008

It's been a few years, but Staffmark treated me well.
posted by SampleSize at 4:31 PM on January 3, 2008

By the way, you know you can register with a bunch of them, right?
posted by SampleSize at 4:32 PM on January 3, 2008

Core Staffing (the downtown office, though they also have a midtown location) kept me busy back in 2004. They placed me with a firm that eventually hired me full-time.
posted by serialcomma at 4:37 PM on January 3, 2008

Response by poster: Yes, SampleSize, I know that I can register with a bunch of them, thanks for the heads-up, though. And thanks for the suggestion.
posted by sondrialiac at 4:39 PM on January 3, 2008

Atrium got me the job that I would get hired out of a few months later.
posted by bingo at 4:40 PM on January 3, 2008

Atrium was terrible toward me. YMMV.
posted by cmgonzalez at 5:06 PM on January 3, 2008

M. Luca gave my sister a temp position at the Jim Henson Company while she looked for other work. It was great, and now we have huge vinyl Kermit and Animal statues (not so great).
posted by unknowncommand at 6:19 PM on January 3, 2008

Atrium was really good for my room-mate and placed her at a job that hired her full time after three months. I worked through RemX staffing for a while and found the people there pleasant and available.
posted by thankyoujohnnyfever at 9:22 PM on January 3, 2008 [1 favorite]

Kelly Services worked for me a few years back. I was doing various tasks for an insurance company, but they should have a variety of positions available.

As far as salary, it is totally dependent on where you are working. I would imagine they start at the minimum wage and go up from there. I'm not sure how high they go, but definitely something in the high teens or low twenties/hour should probably be attainable (I think I was at $17 or $18 in 2003 with no real experience and no long-term expectations).
posted by langeNU at 7:14 AM on January 4, 2008 [1 favorite]

I was happy with Execu-search and got cool jobs (like at Trace magazine) with them.
posted by rmless at 8:31 AM on January 4, 2008

Response by poster: Those are very helpful suggestions, thank you very much.
posted by sondrialiac at 11:03 AM on January 4, 2008

« Older oh god help me dentist   |   How to advocate for and aid a desperately ill... Newer »