Wither the weather experts?
December 27, 2007 8:55 AM   Subscribe

Where can I find "legal experts?" Specifically for meteorology?

The company I work for needs to hire a person or persons who are either a) paralegals with some knowledge of meteorology, or b) scientists with knowledge of the weather, preferably people who previously worked in government jobs (aka former EPA employees.)

Basically, I'm trying to find someone who can make sense of legal cases that involve weather patterns for particulate drift of various toxic substances. In the past, I have hired former FBI agents for various things; the FBI keeps a database of former agents that they will give out if you ask. I can't find such a database for the EPA or any related agency.

I've been told that I cannot hire "consultants," as they cost too much. Which is unfortunate, because consultants are easy to find. Any help is appreciated.
posted by nushustu to Work & Money (8 answers total)
Sounds like you're looking for a toxic tort lawyer (who I imagine would cost you more than a consultant).
posted by amro at 9:21 AM on December 27, 2007

These guys came up when I googled; I imagine that there are other firms with the same specialty.
posted by amro at 9:23 AM on December 27, 2007

I would contact an educational institution near you and see if they can point you in the right direction.

If you just need someone to interpret the data for you, I think you need more a scientific expert than a legal expert - if you need someone to testify to it, then maybe you are more into expert witness territory. Making that distinction could help you find someone.
posted by KAS at 9:37 AM on December 27, 2007

Response by poster: Yeah, I found those guys and was told they would cost too much. I think I'm going to have to tell my boss that what they're looking for isn't in our budget...
posted by nushustu at 9:41 AM on December 27, 2007

Response by poster: (That last comment was for Amro, btw.)
posted by nushustu at 9:41 AM on December 27, 2007

There are climatology programs at most major universities, in addition to meterology programs as well. They should have some grad students that would jump at the shot for doing something like this.
posted by ajr at 10:11 AM on December 27, 2007

Accuweather offers Forensic Meteorology consulting. Web page says directly that they are called upon as expert witnesses. I have no idea the costs so it could be more expensive than the link you have, but it is one possibility.
posted by xetere at 10:32 AM on December 27, 2007

Try looking for HazOp as a keyword. For instance, entering HazOp and wind yields interesting results.

My Dad was an industrial chemist trained in HazOp analysis. This involved such things as thinking about what would happen if a hazardous substance was released when wind and weather conditions were X, Y and Z, etc.

Not all of HazOp is going to be applicable, but someone trained in HazOp and who has used it in real life may be the kind of person you are looking for.
posted by blue_wardrobe at 10:59 AM on December 27, 2007

« Older Little Boxes, Little Boxes   |   Tortilla dough in SF? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.