Giving away our pride

My friends and I are totally awesome (read: willing to make complete fools of ourselves because it's funny) and are searching for the perfect three-person karaoke song. There's one catch...

We all want to wear fake mustaches (remember the above mentioned awesome) and rock out. Ideally, we would like to sing a song by a band that had some rad facial hair so we can pay proper homage.

The details:
-2 guys, one girl. Not great singers. That just makes it funnier.
-bands with rad/horrible/awesome facial hair singing rad/horrible/awesome songs that will likely be on a karaoke list.

The Village People seem like the obvious choice, but there are only three of us, and we'd like to avoid doing the YMCA.

I've seen the previous threads on karaoke, and taken those suggestions into account: it's really the facial hair that's the challenge.
posted by plaingurl to Media & Arts (27 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

ZZ Top?
posted by drjimmy11 at 2:38 PM on December 6, 2007

My first thought was also ZZ Top. But they're famous for beards (at least the two not named Beard, anyway).
posted by cmgonzalez at 2:40 PM on December 6, 2007

Best answer: Beastie Boys - "Sabotage"
posted by tristeza at 2:46 PM on December 6, 2007

Best answer: The Bee-Gees.

Porn star moustaches? Check.
Likely to be on a karaoke list? Check.
Trio? Check.

Other possibilities: Hanson, Cream, Green Day, Sum 41, Violent Femmes, Beastie Boys.
posted by iconomy at 2:47 PM on December 6, 2007

Oh, god, do the Bee Gees. I once went to a speech/debate tournament that had an inexplicable lip synching category. You haven't lived until you've seen a passel of Mormons do an entire choreographed routine to Stayin' Alive.
posted by sugarfish at 2:51 PM on December 6, 2007 [5 favorites]

How about Boston's "More Than A Feeling?" Something in my brain says "mustache band" when I hear Boston, though I'm not sure if that's accurate. Anyway, the chorus is perfect for a three person shout-along.
posted by otolith at 2:56 PM on December 6, 2007 [1 favorite]

Yes this clip confirms that Boston is definitely a mustache band. Also, Freddie Mercury from Queen often sported a fantabulous stache.
posted by otolith at 3:00 PM on December 6, 2007

Oh, tristeza's suggestion is perfect if you can learn all the words.
posted by cmgonzalez at 3:04 PM on December 6, 2007

Any Sgt. Pepper era Beatles would work. They were all rockin' the 'stash back then.
posted by jeffamaphone at 3:06 PM on December 6, 2007

Might it be even awesomely funnier if the band/song you're doing has NOTHING to do with mustaches?
posted by iguanapolitico at 3:09 PM on December 6, 2007

I go along with the Queen recommendation. When Freddie grew a mustache, it never looked right to me, so to me a fake mustache would look just like his. And Crazy Little Thing Called Love will give you plenty of inspiration to ham it up.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!
posted by The Deej at 3:09 PM on December 6, 2007

Best answer: As a personal promoter of fake mustaches on women, I will say that it doesn't matter if the band member actually have mustaches as long as it seems like they could. For example, for a music video contest I played the lead singer of Grand Funk Railroad for the song "American Band" in a brown 70s stache. Did that guy actually have one? No, he had long blonde hair, but it totally seems like he could have had one, right?
Go for your dreams.
But I do agree that the Bee Gees would be perfect.
posted by fructose at 3:24 PM on December 6, 2007

Best answer: See, somehow I keep picturing only YOU wearing a moustache and singing lead as Tony Orlando, with them backing you up as Dawn.
posted by miss lynnster at 3:29 PM on December 6, 2007

Three Dog Night! You can do "Joy to the World" (or "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog" as it's more widely known) a truly bad pop anthem.
posted by wsg at 4:08 PM on December 6, 2007 [1 favorite]

Best answer: To follow up on miss lynster, I think it would be completely awesome if the three of you did Tony Orlando and Dawn. Here's how it unfolds, to "Knock Three Times (on the Ceiling If You Want Me)":

1. Song begins.

2. Open on girl in big cheesy Tony Orlando mustache. Two figures on either side, backs to the crowd, in shimmering dresses, swaying back and forth. "Tony" starts to sing. Wild cheering.

3. "Dawn" spins around, revealing men dressed as women, but ALSO in mustaches. Madness ensues.
posted by Clyde Mnestra at 6:27 PM on December 6, 2007 [2 favorites]

I keep envisioning "Man of Constant Sorrow." But I'm guessing that's not on too many karaoke lists.
posted by InnocentBystander at 10:59 PM on December 6, 2007

It's on Rock Band, which would make it easy to learn, so you too can be Buddy Rich when you fly off the handle.
posted by robocop is bleeding at 5:43 AM on December 7, 2007

miss lynster,

It's exactly this kind of petty squabbling, arising out of glory, riches, and fame, that drove many of the great bands apart. Can we defy the odds?
posted by Clyde Mnestra at 7:23 AM on December 7, 2007 [1 favorite]

Oh, fine. I'll just sit back here with my cowbell.
posted by miss lynnster at 8:07 AM on December 7, 2007

Response by poster: or I'll come back and give you a best answer as well. No need for anyone to feel left out.

Karaoke tonight. Youtube action later. Absurdity guaranteed.
posted by plaingurl at 9:36 AM on December 7, 2007

You will of course post the YouTube link here, right?

Also: Yay! Good example Miss L! Just whine loud enough and you'll get your way. Don't tell my daughter it worked, please. :)
posted by The Deej at 10:47 AM on December 7, 2007

Response by poster: I will be posting the youtube linkage, once I get it all up and running. Although I am admittedly partially hoping that you fine folks forget about this thread by that point ;)

also: lame new mefite question. how do I shrink my font?
posted by plaingurl at 12:44 PM on December 7, 2007

Click the Preferences link at the top. You can pick a font and font size.

Please, don't put yourself down by calling your question lame. We will do that for you.
posted by The Deej at 1:38 PM on December 7, 2007

Almost a full day later and still no youtube...
posted by ClarissaWAM at 7:32 AM on December 8, 2007

Response by poster: give a girl a break. I work retail. I've been gone pretty much since yesterday morning.

i warn you, though, the quality of these is pretty horrible. dark and a digital camera...not so great.

stayin' alive. it starts part way into the song. complete with dj dancing.

leader of the pack. this one's got the whole song.
posted by plaingurl at 7:59 AM on December 9, 2007

*applause*

It was dark so I can't tell though... were you guys wearing the moustaches? Looks like you had a lot of fun. :)
posted by miss lynnster at 12:15 PM on December 11, 2007

Response by poster: it is a shame that it was so dark. the moustaches were present for stayin' alive, but not for leader of the pack. we figured that one was already so absurd that it was probably okay without them.

and it certainly was a lot of fun :)
posted by plaingurl at 9:39 AM on December 12, 2007

« Older Ghost Doctor?   |   Help me find a dentist in the SF Bay Area. Newer »