Fluke for less

Is there software that can give a computer the capabilites of a Fluke type device? I've used Fluke Etherscope devices in the past and they are a terrific network troubleshooting tool but they are expensive. I am mostly interested in the cable testing/verifaction functions.

I would like to create a laptop that has the same functionality. Since the Flukes are just small Linux machines, I would assume it would possible. Some of the functions can be done using existing software but I cant find anything to do cable verification and tone generation. My ultimate goal would be to take an Asus Eee PC with the software as my network diag tool.
posted by nivekraz to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

This is basically what computer data acquisition (or DAQ) is all about. You may have to do a little coding or scripting, but offerings from companies like LabJack, or National Instruments are exactly what you want to look at.
posted by fatllama at 1:48 PM on December 5, 2007

MTR?
posted by Orb2069 at 7:03 AM on December 6, 2007

« Older World of Warcraft: Want to BUY the most bad ass...   |   Is antibiotic residue in food making me sick? Newer »