Looking for a4 in all the wrong places

Where can I find A4 photographic paper here in the States for a reasonable price?

I'm looking for A4 photo paper because it is more nearly proportional to the full frame proportions for DSLRs (almost exactly 3:2) Letter size paper is closer to 4:5 proportions. similar to an 8x10. I have a bad habit of framing my shots so that I need the whole frame to print them.

The dilemma is this: Amazon UK lists 50 sheets of my favorite Canon matte photo paper in A4 size for 8.84 Pounds. The same paper on Amazon US is $56.00! ridiculous, since a 50-sheet package of US Letter size here is $8.99.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get my dirty, rotten USA'ian hands on some nice cool international-sized paper?

Secondary question: How the heck do you make a 'pound symbol' on Metafilter?
posted by pjern to Media & Arts (14 answers total)

I should amend that to read "inkjet photo paper".
posted by pjern at 12:59 AM on December 5, 2007

As for the pound symbol, just copy and paste it (£) from a nearby website..
posted by suedehead at 1:07 AM on December 5, 2007

B & H Photo has Moab A4 Matte Double Sided for $22.91. If you go with the single sided glossy or luster photo papers it jumps up to $33.96.

Here's a link to the matte.
posted by robtf3 at 1:34 AM on December 5, 2007

Obvious question - can you get it from amazon.co.uk?

I don't know how much the shipping would be, but it's bound to be less than $40.

It'll work out even cheaper if you want more than one packet.

Oh, and
1. Buy a UK keyboard
2. Press Shift+3

posted by roomaroo at 1:36 AM on December 5, 2007

Oh yeah, plus $4.95 for the cheapest shipping to my state. YMMV.
posted by robtf3 at 1:37 AM on December 5, 2007

If you had a mac you could just option key + 3. See ££££££! Love.
posted by oxford blue at 1:49 AM on December 5, 2007

I tried ordering it from Amazon UK and got this:

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. ( See geographical restrictions.) ***

Of course it cabtship to the US, Amazon US gets $56.00 for it.

Bahstids.
posted by pjern at 2:09 AM on December 5, 2007

robtf3- I'm not that familiar with the Moab paper- actually, I'm not at all familiar with it. I was looking for the Canon paper because that's what I have all worked out.
posted by pjern at 3:11 AM on December 5, 2007

1. Try different uk sites by searching from google.co.uk and you are sure to find someone who will ship to you.

2. If you use the £ key frequently, then hold down alt while typing 0163. But if you don't do it frequently, you'll never remember that, so stick with the official three letter code GBP.
posted by happyturtle at 4:07 AM on December 5, 2007

2. £ can be easier to remember
posted by handybitesize at 6:26 AM on December 5, 2007

Don't preview through - £
posted by handybitesize at 6:27 AM on December 5, 2007

Were I still in the UK, I'd be happy to re-mail it to you. Do you not have anyone you know in the UK who could do this for you?
posted by DarlingBri at 7:24 AM on December 5, 2007

It looks this British guy on eBay will ship you the paper for less than amazon.com in the US wants.
posted by lukemeister at 10:57 AM on December 5, 2007

Also, you can get 100 pages of Epson A4 paper from J&R for $9.99 + shipping. Even though it's not your favorite brand, it might be worth a shot.
posted by lukemeister at 11:02 AM on December 5, 2007

« Older It's my birthday, and I'll bitch if I want to....   |   Is my Benjamin wet enough? Newer »