Golf Clubs

Golf question. I am in a position where I will be playing golf quiet a bit and I bought a good starter set based on what my boss recomended. What is the difference between all the clubs?
posted by thebwit to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The clubs with the low numbers hit the ball further.

You will probably have a difficult time hitting any iron with a number lower than 5. In my opinion, you should practice with your 3-iron at the driving range. It's a very unforgiving club, and it's hard to luck into hitting it right.

The Driver (1-wood) hits the ball furthest, but is difficult to hit unless you're hitting a ball off of a tee.

Woods other than the driver are to be hit wherever you have a pretty good lie, and you need a lot of distance. Many new golfers find their 3- and 5- woods easier to hit than their long irons.

You'll probably find that the 7-iron is the easiest club to hit. Use it, if you want, to help you out around the green for pitches and chips.

The putter is only to be used on the green or its fringe.
posted by trharlan at 1:24 PM on June 6, 2004

Namely loft and distance.

Your woods (or metals) are for long distances with a low trajectory while your irons move from low loft to high loft.

As in all of the clubs, the higher the number, the higher the loft and therefore shorter distance.

The USGA has a good explainer on the clubs. Also, etiquette is extremely important, so be sure to check it out too.

Have fun!
posted by karmaville at 1:25 PM on June 6, 2004

The posts above answered you question about clubs so I'm going to give you a little free advice about starting to golf...

I only use the odd numbered clubs, and really only use a few of them (5,9,SW, putter.) The lower the number, I find the harder to control. Stay away from the #4 and below.

The best idea is to pick a couple of clubs (a #5 and #7), ONE wedge (Sand wedge is a good starter) and maybe a #9 and MAYBE one wood and go to the range and hit the hell out of balls. Don't worry about the rest of the clubs (except, of course, a putter) and even leave all the others at home-at least for a good long while. Many newbie golfers find the woods hard to control. Focus on getting control of a few clubs and getting consistency.

Another thing, many people think the key is hitting the ball HARD. Acually, unless you're really good, this isn't true. When you start, don't pull the club very far back and hit it nice and easy. The harder you swing, the worse you will do, I guarantee it.
posted by aacheson at 8:33 PM on June 6, 2004

Everytime you have an urge to blow a few hundred on a new club or late night golf widget, save the money and take a few lessons.

This is what I've been told anyway. I'm using a hand-me-down set and have not purchased any golf aids but trust me, once you get into the game, you're going to want to. Lessons and practice will probably get you further though and, when I free up some time, I'm likely gonna take a few lessons.

Aacheson is also dead on right: this is not a game of power but control so you'll probably experience better results in the beginning when using your high-numbered irons. I love my 9-iron and pitching wedge. The hardest ones for me to hit are the woods but no matter; most of the game is won or lost at short and medium ranges. Practice with your irons on the chipping range for quick feedback.

Sorry for the long comment: this is the first real sport I've fallen in love with and one of the few where my 70+ year old grandpa can thrash a young 'un like me. Have fun!
posted by Tacodog at 2:33 AM on June 7, 2004

Thank you to all who answered my question. I will be going to the driving range shortly.
posted by thebwit at 6:34 AM on June 7, 2004

« Older BASIC on WinXP   |   Why the years between music/art/photo projects? Newer »