Can a person in the US with a green card bring over a family member?
November 27, 2007 7:54 AM   Subscribe

An Ethiopian friend, who has her green card, would like to bring over her sister's youngest son (I believe he is eight years old) to live with her in Washington, DC. Is this even possible and how likely is this to happen in the near future?
posted by brokekid to Law & Government (6 answers total)
Assuming that your friend's sister is alive and has custody of the child, forget it. USCIS doesn't care about nieces and nephews.
posted by Faint of Butt at 8:12 AM on November 27, 2007

Response by poster: Thanks, that makes sense.
posted by brokekid at 8:20 AM on November 27, 2007

Someone i met in Ethiopia once tried to get out many many times, but he is never granted a visa to even visit. Its a shame he is a great guy and has been dedicated a more than full time position with a branch of habitat for humanity. Good Luck...
posted by Black_Umbrella at 9:22 AM on November 27, 2007

probably only if she legally adopts the child. check with the embassy.
posted by thinkingwoman at 11:18 AM on November 27, 2007

Oh, I don't think it's that unlikely. You will definitely need an immigration attorney though. There are ways to show that it's important for the health/development/education/safety of the child that the government does care about, since he is a relative of an LPR. But definitely get an immigration attorney.
posted by Capri at 1:36 PM on November 27, 2007

Could he come over as a foreign student and attend a private school that is DHS approved?
posted by Pollomacho at 1:55 PM on November 29, 2007

« Older Syncing up 2 USB Hdd on a Mac and Font converting...   |   Go forth and dub creatively, O my nerd army! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.