Builders to renovate a flat in central London?

After what has felt like months of waiting, it now looks as though I may very soon have a new flat (yay!) and need builders to carry out renovations in that flat. Although several friends of mine have made recommendations, I am having trouble finding recommended builders who work in (very) central London, WC1 to be precise. Any suggestions?

I am looking to have remodelling, plumbing and possibly electrical work done, primarily in a kitchen and a bathroom.
posted by sueinnyc to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Can't answer your question directly, but we've had good results with tradesmen from the London Tradesmens' Directory.
posted by Hogshead at 2:48 PM on November 25, 2007

Or try Checkatrade.
posted by Dr.Pill at 3:50 PM on November 25, 2007

We've got the same problem, but it Here are the web resources we're using for research.

Check your price provides good data on what cost should be "reasonable". It helped us rationalise some of the quotes we received.

RatedPeople seems to be a site alllowing you to find peer reviewed tradespeople (we haven't done much with this one yet).

Great to see the links Hogshead / Dr Pill provided.
posted by Mutant at 12:18 AM on November 26, 2007

Excuse. "We've got the same problem, but in E1. Here are the web ..."
posted by Mutant at 12:25 AM on November 26, 2007

I can't help with other tradespeople but for plumbing try Holborn Plumbing. Also, there's a plumber's merchant on North Mews / Northington Street (who recommend/are affliated to Holborn Plumbing) - perhaps they can recommend other tradespeople?
Holborn Plumbing Services (Corgi reg 200024)
Unit G4 156-158 Gray's Inn Road
LONDON
WC1X 8ED
02078375704
07976309886
c.clarke@holbornplumbing.fsnet.co.uk
posted by boudicca at 5:20 AM on November 26, 2007

Thank you all for the responses so far (and please feel free to keep them coming).

I have been working through the various linked directories, and just submitted a request to Rated People. So far none of the three firms that I e-mailed from the London Tradesmen's Directory have responded (I realise that e-mail is not the best medium here, but wanted to try it first). I'll post an update when there's anything (or a prolonged nothing) to report.

The check your price page is fantastic, Mutant.
posted by sueinnyc at 3:30 PM on November 26, 2007

« Older Andes Mints in retail stores?   |   How to insert spaces in a font? Newer »