How do I convert from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook 2003?

I'm running Outlook 2003 (I have to! Not a choice!) and I need to now convert from POP3 to IMAP seamlessly. It seems like whenever I try to do it my old e-mail is in the Personal Folder section and it creates a new IMAP folder. This is unacceptable! I want everything to look generally like it is, and do it without exporting a PST and reimporting and all such nonsense.

This has been a thorn in my balls forever. Now I'm forced to switch over a few computers to IMAP and it's messy and yucky and I'm sure there's a solution. Google has let me down.
posted by geoff. to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

You can just drag all your old email over to the new IMAP folder, and it'll copy it over to the server. AFAIK you can't get IMAP mail to show up in the normal 'Inbox' -- just start using the new entry as your Inbox and things will work fine. Is there more to this? I'm not too hip on Outlook, honestly.
posted by zsazsa at 12:53 PM on June 3, 2004

You can use the rules wizard to move new messages from the IMAP inbox to your regular inbox as they come in. Then things will work just like with POP3, except that you'll have an extra IMAP folder in your folder list that you can ignore.
posted by mmoncur at 4:47 PM on June 3, 2004

Response by poster: Hmm that might work with the rules wizard. I have a feeling that Outlook only really *works* with Exchange.
posted by geoff. at 8:55 PM on June 3, 2004

« Older What does the phrase "bang on the ear" mean?   |   Google AdSense estimate Newer »