Can I buy an XO? Like, ethically and stuff.

Can I buy an OLPC XO? It's only availabe in the US/Canada and I live in the UK.

The OLPC XO laptop is now available as part of a get-one-give-one scheme. I'm a teacher at a secondary school and I think it would be a really great idea to buy one for the school: it would be great for assemblies and events and would be a nice way of introducing "citizenship" ideas into the ICT curriculum.

They're only availabe to US/Canada residents and I don't live in the US or Canada. Obviously there is the option of paying someone in the US to buy one for me and then mail it over (how would one go about organising this, by the way?) but I'm wondering if it would be worth it: would the laptop even work in the UK?

Should I wait for them to become available in the UK? The school would be purchasing it so obviously I want to buy as cheaply as possible and with the US dollar where it is it makes financial sense to buy from the US.

What are the issues here, MeFi? What should I do?
posted by alby to Shopping (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

there is a work around being discussed on boingboing.
posted by k8t at 10:47 AM on November 14, 2007

« Older Help me be funny and sound smart at a Project...   |   Help me design a science competition! Newer »