EPIRB versus Satellite Phone
November 9, 2007 3:42 AM   Subscribe

When driving a 4WD Camper from Uluru to Perth via The Great Central Road, would it be preferable to have EPIRB or Satellite Phone, or would it be best to have both? Also, do the really remote fuelling centres in The Outback accept Credit Cards or is cash a must?
posted by Spannerman8 to Travel & Transportation (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I thought EPIRB was only for ocean-going disasters/rescues.

A satellite phone would give you more bandwidth for communication besides "HELP NOW PLEASE".

I have no information about how well either works in the middle of Australia.
posted by rmd1023 at 7:36 AM on November 9, 2007

Cash is always a must for traveling to remote locations.
posted by yohko at 8:28 AM on November 9, 2007

An EPIRB is for life threatening maritime situations. Not, I ran out of gas. Take a satphone, a GPS and know how use both. If your worried about being injured and need to let rescuers know you need help, take a PLB.

You can rent both.
posted by Fuzzy Dog at 9:57 AM on November 9, 2007

If you have time, you might strongly consider getting a AUS ham licence and radio rig installed in the truck. I'm sure that's the way most folks out there still communicate over long distances, and there are doubtless very well developed radio networks and emergency protocals.

Track down the phone numbers of a few police stations along your route and see what they say. They're gonna be the ones who would have to rescue you if it comes to that and they can probably give you the best advice.
posted by oalocke at 10:31 AM on November 9, 2007

« Older Do ear infections in an adult require a trip to a...   |   Passages Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.