Where to buy MRE?

Where to buy M.R.Es in Canada?

Does anyone know of a place in Canada (preferably Vancouver) where I can purchase US Army M.R.Es (Meal, Ready to Eat)? I've heard so much about them in the past few years and how edible they are I'd love to give them a try.
posted by Cosine to Food & Drink (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I know you can buy them online from survivalist sites.

This page lists places to look for them.
posted by IndigoRain at 6:04 PM on November 1, 2007

Googling vancouver military surplus turns up a lot of relevant hits. I know my local surplus store has large quantities of Canadian MREs. Is there really much of a difference between Canadian and American MREs?
According to mreinfo.com, they should be pretty similar (at least if menus are any indication).
posted by Ctrl_Alt_ep at 6:13 PM on November 1, 2007

There's several surplus stores that have them. A friend of mine used to buy them at the one in New Westminster on 12th. Their site is here:

http://www.davesarmysurplus.com

But I don't see them listing the MREs or any perishables for that matter. Give them a call when they're open though, maybe it's just not something they sell online.
posted by barc0001 at 6:40 PM on November 1, 2007

Wow. After browsing MREInfo, I have a hankerin' to try an M.R.E. or two as well, Cosine. Actually, it's the First Strike! ration packs that interest me ("a compact, eat-on-the-move assault ration"), with their HOOAH! bars, Zapplesauce and Stay Alert gum, among other mil-branded foodstuffs.
posted by mumkin at 6:54 PM on November 1, 2007

I've bought some on eBay before-- but American ones, not Canadian.

As an aside, the HOOAH! bars are freaking great. Kept this soldier nice and filled when on the run here when in the field. Good stuff, as far as MRE treats go.
posted by SeanMac at 7:20 PM on November 1, 2007

mreinfo is the guy. 'specially for those wanting to make the distinction between buying authentic mres and quasi-official civilian variants.

been meaning to get hold of some of the foreign ones, that sounds like a real adventure in eating.

I had an authentic-version bbq veggie burger pack, month or two ago; first I've had an mre for about 10-15 years. it was certainly less-bad than I was expecting/remembering. but oh the changes they've made! calories and carbs hopped up every which where -- even the salt has sugar in it!!?! sadly no bacon-salt as of yet, but it'll come. it'll come.

(btw while they are more than edible just keep an eye on your ld50 for the sodium intake)

I miss the nasty gritty tropical chocolate bar...
posted by dorian at 7:49 PM on November 1, 2007

« Older BIOS won't flash :(   |   Tools for keeping track of, and keeping an eye out... Newer »