Korean International SMS

Internanational SMS text messaging in Korea. Is it possible to send a message from my pre paid LG-telecom phone to a user in Hong Kong or China?

I have typed in 001-852-xxxx-xxxx and 002-852-xxxx-xxxx and would like to know if I am doing the right thing. I'm in Gangnam right now and cannot get anyone to help me in the nearby LG shop.
posted by sleslie to Technology (4 answers total)

Try entering the number as "+852…" on your phone. I'm in Hong Kong now. If you want to try sending me an SMS to test it out, drop me a message on Metafilter mail.
posted by Etaoin Shrdlu at 12:10 AM on November 1, 2007

002 + country code + cell phone looks right -- it should work. If not, it might be because your phone is prepaid.
posted by suedehead at 12:43 AM on November 1, 2007

i had a lot of problems getting text messages through to operators in china. a lot of mobile networks there are unofficial - so dont route properly.
posted by dnc at 1:44 AM on November 1, 2007

Looks like 002-852-xxxx-xxxx is the one. When I received a message back from my Hong Kong friend, it appeared as 00700852xxxxxxxx, which also worked for sending messages.
posted by sleslie at 5:47 PM on November 1, 2007

« Older I've got all the time in the world, and nothing to...   |   What's wrong with Ludwig's Van? Newer »