Is there a way to get XP to shut itself down after a specified interval of time?

Is there a way to get XP to shut itself down after a specified interval of time? (So I can run a task on autopilot that will take a couple of hours after I want to go to sleep, without the annoyance of waking up to the whine of the computer...)
posted by kaibutsu to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)

This article from TechTV seems relevant. You could either make a shortcut to shutdown and schedule a task, or download the program they reccomend. Most are for security reasons to prevent others from turning back on, but they should be able to be disabled. I haven't tried anything, but TechTV usually gives good tips.

Related google search
posted by ALongDecember at 7:00 PM on May 22, 2004

This free scheduler can do it, with some adaptation.
posted by mookieproof at 7:36 PM on May 22, 2004

xp can be shutdown using the shutdown command. Type "shutdown /?" at a command prompt for more info. This command will need to be added to your scheduled item list.
posted by seanyboy at 1:21 AM on May 23, 2004

Awesome. Thanks.
posted by kaibutsu at 12:04 PM on May 23, 2004

« Older Does anyone know why all of Woody Allen's films...   |   Front Desk Job Newer »