dim sum & then some

A caveat: I prefer New Green Bo to all of these. However, with a group of 10 friends from out of town, do you recommend Jing Fong, Golden Unicorn or another one of Manhattan's giant dim sum emporiums? I'm looking for quality and range. I haven't been back in Jing Fong since it was remodeled but I assume it's still pretty nice.
posted by luriete to Food & Drink (12 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

We went to Joe's Shanghai for a recent meetup; there were about 10 of us, and the food was really good (and cheap).
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 9:21 AM on October 22, 2007 [1 favorite]

I recently went to Golden Unicorn with a party of 8 and it was okay. My parents and I are used to more authentic fare, but the other party was somewhat new to it, so GU was a good choice. Their steamed and baked pork buns are still as good as I remember them as a little kid in the 80's. There was no wait (we went on a Saturday though). I found it surprisingly easy to flag people down as opposed to other places.
posted by spec80 at 9:21 AM on October 22, 2007

Joe's Shanghai isn't dim sum, though. Can you imagine the craziness in the room if there were carts involved? Oy.
posted by spec80 at 9:22 AM on October 22, 2007

Response by poster: Yeah, Joe's is fun, but I'm specifically looking for Dim Sum.
posted by luriete at 9:25 AM on October 22, 2007

Ping's is consistently our favorite.

One o'clock on weekdays seems to be one of the best times - everything is fresh and plentiful and there isn't generally a wait. As for the weekends, they do tend to move people in and out very quickly, but it can be a bit of a zoo. I'd say try to go around between 10 and 1, and avoid later in the day as they tend to trot out the stuff that didn't sell earlier, so it's not as fresh.

Try to sit upstairs and avoid being sat on the inside of the table. All the dumplings are fantastic, as are the pork long noodles, the sugarcane shrimp, and crab balls. Sticky rice with pork, taro cake and short ribs are also delicious. If you can, ask for a plate of sauteed pea shoots to accompany your meal and get the warm silken tofu drizzled with honey as a dessert.
posted by TryTheTilapia at 9:43 AM on October 22, 2007

Shun Lee in the Upper West Side. Very good dim sum and regular dishes. The Café is less expensive than the actual restaurant.
posted by carmina at 9:45 AM on October 22, 2007

Oh, and here is Shun Lee's menu.
posted by carmina at 9:49 AM on October 22, 2007

I miss 20 Mott Street. (If the place had another name, my Chinese local friend didn't know it.)

They had three floors of Dim Sum on the weekend, the carts going around, all sorts of stuff. I thought it was the best.

The last time, I went to the Nice Restaurant, which was pretty good, too.
posted by mephron at 10:08 AM on October 22, 2007

88 Palace is my personal fave (and Calvin Trillin's top pick too, apparently).
posted by yellowcandy at 10:46 AM on October 22, 2007

Response by poster: OK, so it'll be either 88 Palace or Ping's if we're downtown, Sun Lee if uptown. Thanks all!
posted by luriete at 11:15 AM on October 22, 2007

mephron, is the 20 Mott St. Place you speak of Sweet n' Tart? Google streetview link

If so, I also miss them and just wanted to sympathize. Luckily though, they still exist! In Queens. http://www.sweetntart.com/
posted by zackola at 12:18 PM on October 22, 2007

Zackola: no, it was the 20 Mott Street restaurant before it was Sweet n' Tart.
posted by mephron at 12:59 PM on October 22, 2007

« Older Multiple user CMS   |   Is it possible to create an image map in an HTML... Newer »