Power of Attorney: How do I give it to my brother?
October 16, 2007 4:01 AM   Subscribe

How can I give my brother in the US power of attorney when I am in the EU?

Well, I’m living in Amsterdam and I need to give my brother in the US the power to open a business bank account in my name (being the sole proprietor). The bank has agreed to let him sign for me provided I get him power of attorney.

Being as I live in Europe, how can I get him this document as efficiently as possible? Not sure if there are forms online for this and/or if I need them notarized by someone (if so, who in Amsterdam can do this?).

Thanks a lot everyone! Sure do appreciate the advice -
posted by mateuslee to Law & Government (7 answers total)
Best answer: Not sure about where to get notarization in Amsterdam, but no bank in the US is going to accept a PoA that is not notarized.

I recently moved overseas temporarily and set up my parents with PoA before leaving. My dad was present at the notary, but my mom was not, and it didn't seem to be any issue, so I would guess that you are fine to just pull a form off the internet, customize it as necessary, and then take it to the notary to sign and finalize it - you shouldn't need your brother present for any of that.

I googled "Power of Attorney forms" or something of that nature and found a plethora, ended up cobbling a couple of the free ones together to fit my needs. Just avoid the sites that try to get you to pay for a form.
posted by allkindsoftime at 4:35 AM on October 16, 2007

Best answer: Looks like there are NPs in Amsterdam...
posted by allkindsoftime at 4:38 AM on October 16, 2007

Best answer: The US Consulate will have a notary on duty at US Citizen Services.
posted by Pollomacho at 5:33 AM on October 16, 2007

I have used PoA's here in the US from Greece, although not for bank accounts. You might have to translate and notarize it again in the US, as I suspect it will have been written in Dutch. US Consulate in Amsterdam and the Netherlands Embassy in the US should know how to go about it.
posted by carmina at 7:37 AM on October 16, 2007

Ditto on getting notarization at the US consulate although any notary that can do a form in English will be legally binding.
posted by JJ86 at 9:34 AM on October 16, 2007

Best answer: I can't give you any legal advice, but I can tell you this much: if I was you, I'd make certain to not sign a general power of attorney and would make sure to sign a limited power of attorney. And I would probably draft one a bit like this.
posted by dios at 11:58 AM on October 16, 2007 [1 favorite]

Best answer: More from the Consulate on Powers of Attorney. Don't forget to bring $30 or equivalent.
posted by Pollomacho at 12:27 PM on October 16, 2007

« Older Where is my large automobile?   |   Why are you talking at me? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.