What's the right present to encourage a budding beer and wine lover in Chicago?

I don't know the details of what he's had and liked before, so I'm reluctant to just give a few bottles of something I like.

I'm looking for a more open-ended gift, and it would be perfect if it were something ongoing and local to Chicago. What events, classes, clubs, tastings, etc. should an adventurous young drinker there know about? Do any of them sell passes or special membership perks or whatever that would make a good present?
posted by nebulawindphone to Food & Drink (5 answers total)

Gift certificates to The Map Room!
posted by spec80 at 6:51 AM on October 15, 2007

Sam's Wine and Spirits is one of the greatest places on earth. It's one of the things I miss most about Chicago. The size of an airplane hangar, the place houses perhaps 10,000 bottles of wine, plus a knowledgeable, passionate staff. Link is to the "events" page - they do tons of tastings, seminars, meet-up type events, some paired with cooking classes or with a focus on food and wine pairing.
posted by TryTheTilapia at 7:12 AM on October 15, 2007

Perhaps this may be of assistance? Good luck!
posted by mjbraun at 7:46 AM on October 15, 2007

A gift certificate to a great wine store where he can talk to the employees. The best way to learn to enjoy wine is to spend some money buying a bunch of different kinds based on suggestions.
posted by xammerboy at 1:51 PM on October 15, 2007

Chicago Beer Society. I was a member back in the mid-1990s when I lived there. If it's like it was then, they have great events.
posted by sagwalla at 3:11 AM on October 16, 2007

« Older Motion sickness relief wristbands any good?   |   Roman Collection/BKK Newer »