Where and how did Freud discuss "reaction formation"

FREUDIANS: the concept "reaction formation" -- which book does it come from and/or what was it called in German?

I'm writing a paper in German and want to use "reaction formation" as an analogy but I don't know what this is called in German. If I at least knew what book it comes from I could look it up myself. "Reaktionbildung" has almost zero Google hits.
posted by creasy boy to Religion & Philosophy (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't know the answer, but have you tried checking the German version of wikipedia for Freud? The articles are not simply translations, so you may find an answer there.
posted by Pastabagel at 12:56 PM on October 9, 2007

it's Reaktionsbildung
posted by snownoid at 1:12 PM on October 9, 2007

The proper German term is "Reaktionsbildung" and it is a well-recognised form of defense mechanism(Abwehrmechanismus).
This term is certainly based on Freudian concepts and was probably originated by Freud, but as a non-psychologist I can't identify the source text easily.
Good hunting (viel Glueck)!
Mr. Wilder
posted by Wilder at 1:17 PM on October 9, 2007

Thank you! The s in Reaktionsbildungs helps already. Now I'm starting to find information.
posted by creasy boy at 1:32 PM on October 9, 2007

In the 'The Language of Psychoanalysis' by J. Laplanche and J.-B. Pontalis, it is cited as being introduced in Freud's 'Three Essays on Sexuality' (1905).
posted by rudster at 4:29 AM on October 10, 2007

« Older Home is where the debt is?   |   Debt baaaaad Newer »