Swimming Pools in Charlotte, NC

Outdoor swimming pools in Charlotte, NC?

I'm going to have an 8-hour layover in Charlotte on Monday. I would love to spend that time at an outdoor swimming pool that has shower and locker facilities. Can anyone recommend one? Many thanks...
posted by sotalia to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (5 answers total)

I live in Charlotte, and from what I can tell outdoor pools are a seasonal thing here. They closed the day after Labor Day.
posted by Daily Alice at 12:24 PM on October 6, 2007

yeah, here in North Carolina it's too cold to swim.

At least if you are a local.
posted by konolia at 1:04 PM on October 6, 2007

Daily Alice is right, but if you'd settle for an indoor pool, you have a few options. The county parks and recreation department has several swim facilities, including the aquatic center just outside of uptown. You can get a daily pass even as a non-resident.

If you're a YMCA member at home you can have reciprocal privileges at one of our Ys, many of which are like upscale health clubs. The Dowd, Childress-Klein or Harris branches are the closest nice ones to the airport, easily accessible by cab.
posted by Sweetie Darling at 1:14 PM on October 6, 2007

Response by poster: Too cold to swim? The forecast says it's going to be 92 degrees on Monday! I'm guessing that's unseasonably warm...

Thanks for the comments, they were very helpful. I think I'll try one of the indoor pools that Sweetie Darling mentioned.
posted by sotalia at 3:42 PM on October 6, 2007

The air might be 92 degrees but any outside poolwater most assuredly will not be.

The cooler nights this time of year take care of that, unfortunately.
posted by konolia at 6:18 PM on October 6, 2007

« Older Help me find a meeting room in or around O Hare...   |   Urban Rugged Clothes like Triple 5 Soul and G-Star... Newer »