I read an article about breaking down doing housework into increments of time, but now I can't find it. Do you know about this?

I read somewhere recently about a method (such as timeboxing) that was applied to housework, where it was broken down into increments of 15, 30 and 60 minutes (or something like that). I can't remember the details and I can't remember (or find) where I read it. Do you know? I did read this thread but couldn't find what I'm looking for.
posted by h00py to Home & Garden (9 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

There is timeboxing, but the the problem is you run out of time for specific tas.........times up.
posted by Mblue at 3:47 AM on October 6, 2007

Is it this: 15 minute cleanups for every room? It also segues into "intense" cleanups at the bottom of the page.

I've used those and they work for me (have a short attention span toddler, not so into cleaning). The Flylady stuff must be effective but it sounds like you have commit to the entire "system." I didn't have enough time to even read through the website.
posted by cocoagirl at 3:55 AM on October 6, 2007

Is it CNN's How to clean your home in 19 minutes, also featured on Lifehacker?
posted by mi at 4:22 AM on October 6, 2007

This website, Flylady, uses a technique you describe.
posted by katie at 4:29 AM on October 6, 2007

Response by poster: Here's a followup, because I was hanging out for the Iron Chef to start earlier and so didn't spend enough time on my question (yes, I am that sad, and yes, I know it was filmed in 1997 - there may also be some irony in here somewhere): actually, what I read was a summation that someone else read and posted on a forum that doesn't have a search engine in reply to someone's quandary which is similar to mine ie. how do you start and follow through with mundane but necessary but horribly repetitive chores, and I just *can't* search anymore than I have. The theory is, you allot certain chores (I can't remember whether it was the ones that are easiest or the ones that are hardest) 15 minutes, and once the time is up you go on to the next thing, which you've allotted 30 minutes for because it's either easy or hard, etc. Lots of lovely lists, you see, and I think maybe you reward yourself in between time periods with a break and that's what you look forward to, which makes pulling yourself out of your apathy easier because you have little oasis points (it is possible that I just added that because I liked it from reading google search entries earlier which didn't really match up what I was looking for). And, without wishing to offend, I found the Flylady baby steps section horrifyingly simplistic and condescending (I probably missed the relevant section; in which case, please point me to it!)
posted by h00py at 5:36 AM on October 6, 2007

Response by poster: match up *with*
posted by h00py at 5:37 AM on October 6, 2007

The Flylady system does encourage working for 15 minutes, going on to something else for another 15, and then taking a break.

Relevant section: "Crisis Cleaning"
posted by LoriFLA at 5:50 AM on October 6, 2007

I did read something like that earlier on lifehacker, so second mi above
posted by uncballzer at 11:36 AM on October 6, 2007

Do you remember the forum you originally read it on? You could post there asking if anyone remembers it. I'd be interested to see it too....
posted by sLevi at 12:26 PM on October 6, 2007

« Older Back on track - how to stick to an old successful...   |   Noh Mask Newer »