Creating a GMail filter based on contacts

GMailFilter: Is there any way to define a filter based on whether the sender is in your "Contacts" list?

I'd like to create a filter that would automatically "star" messages from senders that are in my "Contacts" list, but I can't find any way to use membership in that list as a search parameter. I'm guessing that if it's doable at all, it may have to be through a Greasemonkey or something like that. (I've got the Lifehacker "Better GMail" add-on already, which is awesome.)

Any thoughts?
posted by LairBob to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You could always create a manual version of it. Export your contacts to a text file, then do some text manipulation, and have a filter that says if from is "(a@a.com OR b@b.com OR c@c.com OR d@d.com ... )", star it. You'd have to manually update it, but it'd get your job done.
posted by WCityMike at 12:04 PM on September 23, 2007

Doesn't Gmail automatically add the contacts that send you email to the "contacts" anyways? So it really wouldn't do much, at least from my point of view. Sorry can't help you out, though.
posted by uncballzer at 12:41 PM on September 23, 2007

« Older Help me set up a home media center!   |   Gamer PC Newer »