Please help me find a specific atomic test picture.

Where can I find a picture that I saw a long time ago? It was a picture of an atomic bomb test with soldiers standing and watching the explosion silhouetted by the explosion.
posted by gnash to Law & Government (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Was it one of these Bikini Atoll shots? Those don't involve silhouettes, but they may be from the same tests.
posted by acoutu at 10:11 PM on September 16, 2007

Try the DOE photo gallery, or the deeply spooky photo book by Michael Light, 100 Suns.
posted by zamboni at 10:17 PM on September 16, 2007

Scratch that DOE one, it most likely doesn't have what you're looking for.
posted by zamboni at 10:20 PM on September 16, 2007

This shot is on the Wikimedia Commons. But I think the one you may have in mind is in the Bettman Archive, available on Corbis. Search for BE044501 or soldiers bomb test. You will probably have to register (free) to open the images larger than a pinky-sized thumbnail.
posted by dhartung at 11:22 PM on September 16, 2007

Bigger shot then what dhartung has.
posted by lilkeith07 at 12:00 AM on September 17, 2007 [1 favorite]

you might be able to find this shot again in peter kuran's awesome movie trinity and beyond - the atomic bomb movie.

also, youtube has plenty of clips.

kuran has included his image source references in the credits. a lot of it came from corbis.
posted by krautland at 12:16 AM on September 17, 2007

Nukeworker also has a huge archive of current and historical photos and art.
posted by answergrape at 5:14 PM on September 17, 2007

Here is another one.
posted by tellurian at 8:17 PM on November 8, 2007

« Older Help me put together a ghoulishly good Halloween...   |   Source for Stella ad? Newer »