Printer needed in London, stat!

I need to purchase an all-in-one office machine (fax/scan/copy/printer) from my desk here in the U.S., and get it to my company's CEO in London by tomorrow.

He's staying at a hotel near Hyde Park for the next several weeks and needs a printer. I'm having trouble finding anything nearby where he can buy one himself. Is there an equivalent to Staples or Office Max there that would deliver one to his hotel if I purchased it via the web or over the phone?
posted by mr_crash_davis to Shopping (11 answers total)

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk if you move very fast, you might be able to get next day delivery - they're pretty reliable.

Alternatively, you could try talking to the concierge at his hotel, and see if they could help out?
posted by bifter at 6:36 AM on September 11, 2007

Call his concierge.
posted by Count Ziggurat at 6:38 AM on September 11, 2007

I did suggest the concierge, bifter. I hope that he's done so, but I haven't heard from him yet today so I'm still trying to line something up from here just in case.

Thanks for the link to Viking. That may be just what the doctor ordered.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 6:40 AM on September 11, 2007

If he's able to get one himself, he should be able to find one on Tottenham Court Road in one of the many computer shops there.
posted by Helga-woo at 6:43 AM on September 11, 2007

Definitely call his concierge or the IT dept in the hotel. If he's staying in the Dorchester or somewhere like that, they have geek butlers who's job it is to do stuff like this.

(I did it for 2 years).
posted by ReiToei at 6:46 AM on September 11, 2007

Or call Dixons, another electronics retailer based in Oxford St., they're just around the corner from Hyde Park/Park Lanne. I'm sure they'd send somebody around today if you ask nicely!
posted by ReiToei at 6:53 AM on September 11, 2007

It shouldn't be too far for him to walk to a shop and get a taxi back. If he's at a hotel around Park Lane then Tottenham Court Road (as Helga-woo suggests) is only a couple of tube stops or a pleasant walk away.

Even closer, there is (or at least used to be) a large branch of Dixons, now known as Currys.digital at the Park Lane end of Oxford Street.

On preview: as ReiToei says.
posted by grahamspankee at 6:57 AM on September 11, 2007

www.staples.co.uk

I've used it many times to get office supplies to the Middle of Nowhere, Scotland. If they can do that, I'm sure they can handle London.
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 8:29 AM on September 11, 2007

eBuyer.com. Nearly always the cheapest and can deliver within 12 hours in many cases. Or even Amazon.co.uk.
posted by wackybrit at 8:49 AM on September 11, 2007

Any Argos store will have a number of all-in-one printers that you can get. Remember to buy a USB cable as well, many printers don't come with one.
posted by adrianhon at 9:51 AM on September 11, 2007

The concierge ended up directing him to Currys.Digital on Oxford Street, so there you have it.

Thank you to all those who answered.
posted by mr_crash_davis at 2:42 PM on September 12, 2007

« Older The significance of the "Pierced Heart" image?   |   Help my toddler enjoy milk Newer »