How can I check if my sites will run in PHP5 ?

Is there any script or sh command to check all given scripts or files to see if it will be compatible with PHP5?

I know that PHP5 has some issues with backwards compatibility, and I need to upgrade my server PHP version from 4 to 5, but I've around 40 sites running (most of them with no big PHP functionality, small contact forms and that).

I think it couldn't be a big problem to do something like this, specially if it's only based on this reference:
http://ar.php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php
posted by Leech to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Well, probably anyone did it before..
posted by Leech at 9:59 AM on September 3, 2007

You’d need a parser and syntax checker to do it right. I know there’s at least one PHP parser that exists written in Scheme, but I don’t know if there is anything that will simply vouch for PHP 5 compatibility.

In addition to the relatively simple parsing problem, you’d need the incompatible changes to be detectable in static analysis.
posted by ijoshua at 12:46 PM on September 3, 2007

Really, there shouldn't be a lot of problems... and php5 really is a lot better in all kinds of little ways. The main thing is that you really wanna use this an opportunity to be fully into the $_REQUEST/$_POST/$_GET/$_SERVER/etc... model of coding, away from the register variables stuff.
posted by ph00dz at 6:32 AM on September 4, 2007

« Older What options do I have with my work skills?   |   What's the word on ditching Word? Newer »