Where to get my birthday ink?

Please help me make the best choice for a tattoo parlour in the Tempe, AZ area for my first ink.

I will be in Tempe, AZ from September 14-18 for KoL Con IV. While I'm there, my birthday will occur, and I'd like to get my first ink. I want a small (1x1) solid-colour square, preferably in a vivid colour (bright blue, lime green, or pink) on my hip (yes, that is a pun, yes, this is a real question). Could you give me a reccomendation for your favourite shops in the area, and if you have any clue, what I should expect to pay?

Thanks in advance. :)
posted by Glitter Ninja to Grab Bag (6 answers total)

Anybody, and I mean anybody, will be able to do a solid one-inch square. I'm not sure what they'll charge, but figure you'll be somewhere near the minimum tattoo cost for that studio, maybe $50 or something, though that's just a rough guess. And if you go to a shop with some kind of super-respected artist, don't be surprised if an apprentice winds up doing your tattoo. I'll leave specific shop recommendations to the Arizonans--if you don't get any other recommendations, though, you could try reading shop reviews at BME.
posted by box at 6:06 PM on August 29, 2007

Heh, I was going to recommend looking at BME's artist portfolios. Dunno if "hip to be square" is cool enough to make Modblog, but you never know these things.
posted by ilsa at 6:35 PM on August 29, 2007

Living Canvas is within walking distance of downtown, they've been around forever and have always done great work.
posted by padraigin at 8:57 PM on August 29, 2007

for what you want you can literally go anywhere, skill doesn't really apply to a solid colored square.
posted by andywolf at 9:36 PM on August 29, 2007

Club Tattoo (there's one... shit, near Mill, right?; no, it's on Apache... grr, somethinglikethat/too-lazy-to-Google-maps) did great on an ex of mine. They'll also pierce things of yours!

Plus, then you get the badass sticker for your car window.

Cheers!
posted by disillusioned at 2:32 AM on August 30, 2007

Oh, sensing you may not be FROM here: Here ya go. They'll treat you right.

Anywhere on University/ASU area is bound to be decent, and there are bunches of them. My friend got an amazing, enormous back tattoo (like, bio-mech, skin pulled back, spine exposed thing; weird, but it suits him) from Tattooed Planet and they did fantastic, too.

You're asking for a square. If they can't pull that off, I say you get to poison them or something.

Also, let the record indicate that I thought it was just the right amount of nerdy-pun-cute, the "hip to be a square" idea. Just the right amount. :-)
posted by disillusioned at 2:42 AM on August 30, 2007

« Older The Old Testament God != The New Testament God?   |   Seeking information about self defense course(s)... Newer »