I think the "V" and "||" *might* be Roman numerals...?

What do these particular signs mean?

On the back window of our bank, there's a round sign that's probably 6" in diameter, white with a red edge. In the circle, in red lettering, is this:

V
R

About ten miles away, above the entrance to a Bed Bath & Beyond in a strip mall, are several similar signs, (white circle, red edge, red lettering) that say:

||
R

Any idea what these might represent?

(I can take a picture of the one at the bank tomorrow morning and will post it onto flickr, and comment with a link.)
posted by Lucinda to Law & Government (12 answers total)

You should ask them.
posted by longsleeves at 8:44 PM on August 26, 2007

Where are you located? Could the R represent something like your town, region or state? Are the buildings old or new? How about the decals?
posted by dantodd at 9:47 PM on August 26, 2007

In Europe round, white signs with red edges are a type of traffic sign that forbid something. But 6" sounds too small to be that.
posted by aerotive at 10:23 PM on August 26, 2007

Where are these signs? (City, state?)
posted by hattifattener at 10:52 PM on August 26, 2007

I wonder if they might be firefighter-related. Sometimes you see little black boxes, 3 or 4 inches on a side, with a spot of red reflective tape. The firefighters' key opens the box, which contains a key for the building.

Yes, please post pictures, and/or ask them. :)
posted by Myself at 12:59 AM on August 27, 2007

OK - this is the one on the bank. For what it's worth, it's on a window that is right next to a fire door. (Unfortunately I was in such a hurry this AM that I didn't even notice what sort of room the window looked in on.) The one on the BB&B is exactly the same with the "V" replaced. (It's also much higher up, about 15' off the ground. The bank one is about eye level.)

Both buildings are very new. The bank is about a year old, the BB&B no more than two or three years old. Both are in suburbs of Rochester, NY (although if it *is* firefighter-related, the "R" wouldn't stand for Rochester, as both suburbs have their own fire departments, and neither suburb starts with "R").

I have to go to the bank on Thursday to deposit my paycheck, so if everyone is stumped, I will ask someone there what it means.
posted by Lucinda at 5:29 AM on August 27, 2007

Actually, firefighter-related signs do not identify the firefighters, but rather what kind of combustible materials are stored in the places, so they know what to expect.
This could be that, but not in any code I'm familiar with.
posted by signal at 6:30 AM on August 27, 2007

It's obviously not a hazard placard, which I think signal thinks I was referring to. I was talking about firefighters' lock boxes.

Anyway, that's all obviously irrelevant. And since it's right in plain view, I think it might be an advertisement, something not unlike warchalking, a symbol that means little except to those in the know.
posted by Myself at 8:07 AM on August 27, 2007

I've seen those around town (Buffalo), so they're definitely not Roch only. Pretty sure it's not advertising either.

Uh, found it.
posted by jdfan at 8:33 AM on August 27, 2007

Awesome! Thank you so much, AskMe!
posted by Lucinda at 9:27 AM on August 27, 2007

Truss ID. Excellent cover story.

You won't think this is so awesome when the Free & Accepted Millet Millers / Modern Millenarian Millerites / Militant Misanthropes show up at your door. Then you'll wish you'd kept your mouth shut.

posted by eritain at 4:47 PM on August 27, 2007

« Older open source, real-time, video streaming?   |   Where does a gay Minneapolitan look for a LTR? Newer »