Find PCI slot PS/2 adapter

How to select and buy PCI card with PS/2 port for older keyboard

(repost)

I need to connect a PC keyboard (MS Natural, not Elite) with PS/2 termination to my PC, but the PC lacks a PS/2 port. I've tried a PS/2 to USB adapter, including one from clickykeyboards.com as recommended, but some keys then stick or don't work correctly.

I know I can buy a PCI slot card that has a PS/2 port, but I've been unable to find a) which is the right one for my PC (Dell Dimension 9100) and b) where to buy it.

Oddly, no one seems to make a USB keyboard with the exact layout as the original MS Natural keyboard. I'm using their Ergonomic 4000 model, and it sucks.

I have Googled this, used Yahoo answers, and asked the tech support gurus at my work, but no good answers. Ideas?
posted by 4midori to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

How does this or this look?

How were the PCI cards that you tried not right for your computer? Usually all PCI cards work as long as you have a PCI slot on your motherboard, regardless of the computer maker.
posted by mand0 at 9:40 PM on August 22, 2007

As mando said, PCI is a universal architecture among modern PCs. If you've seen cards that don't find into your PC, they were probably older, 16-bit ISA cards (example).

The second card mando posted might not work, since it's not a PCI card -- it simply sits in a PCI slot and connects to a USB connector on your motherboard. In other words, it's an overglorified PS/2->USB converter. But the first one looks perfect.
posted by ori at 9:46 PM on August 22, 2007

Yikes, good call ori.
posted by mand0 at 9:56 PM on August 22, 2007

You can buy a PS/2 to USB adaptor for $10 or so at places like Best Buy.
posted by slavlin at 8:44 AM on August 23, 2007

Sorry. I missed that you have tried the adaptor already. If you tried the adaptor, you might try checking the settings on it when connected, as it may be set for a different keyboard type.
posted by slavlin at 8:46 AM on August 23, 2007

Awesome, thanks. Despite my endless searching, I did not find that on NewEgg or anywhere else.

This is what I was looking for.

@slavin: Thanks, I tried two adapters, neither had any settings options.
posted by 4midori at 12:01 PM on September 3, 2007

« Older Lion Cuts = Cruelty??   |   Absentee landlords alive and well; lurking in... Newer »