Need help sharing an EVDO broadband connection among multiple computers

I'm trying to help my brother who lives in an area without cable or DSL. He just recently got a Sprint Novatel wireless Ovation U720 EVDO modem. I have not seen it but from my understanding it connects directly to his laptop via USB. He would like to share this connection among multiple computers wirelessly. Is there a way to connect this modem to a router or otherwise share the connection? I don't think I've seen any routers that would accept an incoming USB connection, but I am no networking wiz.

Thanks in advance!
posted by mattholomew to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

The Kyocera KR1 has USB ports and works with some USB EVDO modems. With a recent firmware, it looks like it supports the U720.
posted by marionnette en chaussette at 12:57 PM on August 22, 2007

He can use his laptop to share the connection with the wireless and set the wireless to be an "ad hoc" wireless network. XP does this. You probably wont find a router that will do this.
posted by damn dirty ape at 4:40 PM on August 22, 2007

BTW, I know someone who is getting the KR1 router and the U720 soon. I'll come back with a report once he's up and running.
posted by marionnette en chaussette at 5:37 PM on August 22, 2007

« Older If you found a diamond on the street, would you...   |   What should we call our fake Eating Club? Newer »