80s Mexican taste sensation?

Looking for a Mexican spice powder I used to eat in the early 80s.

Growing up, I had a couple of friends who used to come to our school twice a year from Mexico City and every time they came to visit they would bring these envelopes of sugary/spicy/sweet/tart powder that we would eat straight out of the package. Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about and whether there's a way to get it in the US? I'm having the weirdest taste flashbacks! This would have been between 1981-1985 -- please don't tell me these powders have gone the way of Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo!
posted by chihiro to Food & Drink (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I doubt I'm going to guess it since the salty-sour-spicy combo is very popular in Mexico, and my prime pinata period was a good 10 years after the time you're describing. Could you possibly be describing Limon 7? I assume it's also not Lucas, since that's also still ubiquitous in Mexico and the southwestern US.

Maybe Pico?
posted by Juliet Banana at 7:17 AM on August 19, 2007

I remember something similar to your description, aside from the envelope part. Lucas Acidito Chili Powder came in a little plastic canister, like a stumpy salt shaker, and you poured a tiny amount into your palm and then sucked it down with a grimace. Lucas Limon salt was available in small green envelopes, and may just be what you've been looing for. I'd recommend the Lucas line to you if they hadn't had a total product recall a few years ago due to lead contamination. It doesn't look like they're still selling Lucas candies anywhere. =o(
posted by carsonb at 7:22 AM on August 19, 2007

It doesn't look like they're still selling Lucas candies anywhere.

..Or if they are it's because the grocer ignored the voluntary recall.
posted by carsonb at 7:23 AM on August 19, 2007

Unless your taste buds are remarkably refined I'm guessing that any chilli-lemon powder candy mentioned above (such as Pico) will do nicely. You can buy it at nearly any Mexican or Latin American grocery.

Some of my favorite candies are Mexican. Almost all of them use a strong contrast of acid and sugar.
posted by Deathalicious at 8:25 AM on August 19, 2007

Hey chihiro, if you can't find any, e-mail me. The stuff is so cheap, I would love to send you a "care package" to help reboot your taste buds.

(I love those little Mexican treats and am always searching out new ones.)
posted by snsranch at 5:29 PM on August 19, 2007

The Vermont Country Store still sells Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific.

posted by nonane at 7:16 PM on August 19, 2007

Lucas is from the 90s. It could be Miguelito (red powder or liquid, a cupid printed in the plastic package), Salim and Chilim (lemon/salt and chili, respectively) or Brinquitos (sweet and a bit acid, with a frog in the paper package.) I can send you some if you can't find them where you live..
posted by clearlydemon at 9:16 PM on August 19, 2007

Twang?
posted by user92371 at 11:15 PM on August 19, 2007

I couldn't post any images yesterday, so here they are:

Miguelito: This is the most popular chili candy. Serving suggestion.

Brinquitos.

Both packages were redesigned.

I couldn't find Salim and Chilim photos, I don't think they make them any more. The packages were white and green (Salim) and white and red (Chilim). These were really salty.

I was a big fan of these candies (I still am), these three were the most common brands when I was a child (in the 80s too).
posted by clearlydemon at 5:39 PM on August 20, 2007

Wow! Thanks, guys. Clearlydemon, I will be e-mailing you if you don't mind sending a few -- if I can send you anything in return from Philadelphia (Tastykakes? Scrapple?) I'd be happy to do!
posted by chihiro at 4:57 PM on August 23, 2007

By the way, I hope no one interprets my offering to send Tastykakes and/or Scrapple as acts of aggression ;)
posted by chihiro at 5:03 PM on August 23, 2007

« Older What are these small yellow fruits?   |   where can I buy a rabbit outside Boston? Newer »