Where can I find summary information for a specific stock for days in the past? (more inside)

Where can I find summary information for a specific stock for days in the past?

I'm trying to find summary information similar to what you'd find at http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=goog for a specific day in July. I have found the stock prices for those days without any problem but I've been unable to find things like market cap, volume, etc for that same day way back in July.I've been to bloomberg, wsj, zack's, and any other number of random sites but I'm having no luck. Does such a thing exist or am I just missing it?

Thank you in advance.
posted by tozturk to Work & Money (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Google Finance has historical volume data.
posted by saladin at 2:39 PM on August 18, 2007

Can you say what stock you are looking for, and on what day?
posted by procrastination at 2:40 PM on August 18, 2007

Volume, at least, can be found by just clicking on "Historical Prices" on the page you linked to. Check the left-hand side's menu bar for the link.

Here's the example for Google.
posted by Flunkie at 2:41 PM on August 18, 2007

Sorry, my mistake. I have volume..just not all of the other measures from the summary link above.
posted by tozturk at 2:48 PM on August 18, 2007

I have volume..just not all of the other measures from the summary link above.
"Day's Range" and "Open" are also available on the page I pointed out.
posted by Flunkie at 2:55 PM on August 18, 2007

I've been unable to find things like market cap, volume, etc for that same day way back in July

Once you have the price for some specific day in the past, market cap is easy to derive. Just look up the last 10Q or 10K issued before the date in question and take the share count from the front page (SEC docs can be found a number of places, including here). Basic shares outstanding * share price = market cap.

Some of the other data on that page (Beta, EPS estimates) may not be available for historical dates on free websites. Someone with access to a FactSet or Bloomberg terminal would certainly be able to get this data for you though.
posted by mullacc at 3:31 PM on August 18, 2007

« Older How to do a small business Vista rollout?   |   How to set up an 'emergency email' system for an... Newer »