Help.flv?

I want to send a video on CD to an unsophisticated user of a Macintosh computer.

The video is currently in Flash format (video.flv). Will a native-utilities-only installation of OS X have something that will play this video for him? If not, what video formats besides QuickTime will an abolutely stock Macintosh computer play?

I'm not sure what version of OS X he'll have -- probably not the latest and greatest.)
posted by gum to Computers & Internet (12 answers total)

Try a demo of VisualHub.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:07 PM on August 17, 2007

(VisualHub will convert from Flash to QuickTime (MP4).)
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:08 PM on August 17, 2007

What video formats, besides QuickTime, can applications packaged with the OS be relied upon to play? The user cannot install software. (Trust me on this.)
posted by gum at 5:16 PM on August 17, 2007

Any chance you could upload the file to youtube or something similar? This would allow them to simply use their web browser.
posted by quin at 5:18 PM on August 17, 2007

I don't think you can rely on anything not playable by QuickTime. This includes, at least: nearly all AVI codecs, Flash (FLV), Real, and Windows Media.

You may want to, therefore, convert to MP4, before burning to CD.
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 5:19 PM on August 17, 2007

No Web allowed. To be precise: The user is cognitively impaired (aka mentally retarded). It is a minor miracle that he can use the computer at all. He knows how to stick a CD in the CD drive. What video formats will autoplay on a Mac?
posted by gum at 5:21 PM on August 17, 2007

Blazecock Pileon just in with the answer. Thanks!
posted by gum at 5:22 PM on August 17, 2007

iSquint will let you encode to MP4 for free, without the 2-minute time limit in the VisualHub demo. Quality is excellent.
posted by porn in the woods at 6:10 PM on August 17, 2007

Thanks, PITW, but I'm trying to make something readable for people with Macs from out in the PC universe, and iSquint is a Mac application.

I've been playing with a neighbor's OS X laptop this evening and it looks like QuickTime variants are the only video formats you can count upon preinstalled for playback in the Mac universe.

(Mac people: This can be overcome by installing VLC player -- it's just not an option in my situation.)
posted by gum at 10:05 PM on August 17, 2007

You only need an FLV player, and there are lots of free ones, such as this one.
posted by rhizome at 10:49 PM on August 17, 2007

Why does it need to be on a computer? Why not just made a DVD?
posted by AmbroseChapel at 11:59 PM on August 19, 2007

made make
posted by AmbroseChapel at 12:01 AM on August 20, 2007

« Older Has anyone ever started or managed a company...   |   Should I get a new PC or a 360? Newer »