Two iTunes problems: track info and organizing

Two iTunes problems: changing individual track info and organizing my library.

Details: I got a new laptop (PC, running Vista). Now I can't do things with iTunes (v. 7.3.2.6) that I used to be able to do.

1. I can't change individual track info anymore. I right-click a song, choose "info," and everything is grayed out and un-editable. "Multiple item information" still works, but I can't change song titles that way. How can I make it so I can edit an individual song's info?

2. On my old computer (PC running XP, some previous version of iTunes), I had a special folder for new MP3s that I hadn't listened to yet. I would click on a file in that folder, and iTunes would remove it from the folder, put it in its proper place (i.e., a folder for the album inside a folder for the artist), and play the track. It no longer works this way--the file just stays in the original folder. I have "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" checked. What am I doing wrong? Or is this just something they changed on this version of iTunes?
posted by goatdog to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

For testing purposes if you'd like to throw an older version of iTunes on your computer, all previous versions can be downloaded here.
posted by genial at 7:48 PM on August 15, 2007

What version of iTunes did you use on your old computer?

I don't know what the deal with issue number one is, but the behavior for number two seems normal to me. I started using the "keep music folder organized" and "copy files to itunes music folder" options sometime in the past few revisions of the program and it has always left the original copy untouched.
posted by roomwithaview at 9:27 PM on August 15, 2007

No clue about the previous version. The computer completely died.

So it doesn't actually organize the folders? By "organize" I thought it meant that it would put the song in a folder for the artist. But it's not changing anything--no new folder, no new copy of the song anywhere. What do they mean by "organize" then?
posted by goatdog at 5:58 AM on August 16, 2007

I would click on a file in that folder, and iTunes would remove it from the folder, put it in its proper place (i.e., a folder for the album inside a folder for the artist), and play the track.

Normal behaviour is this, but without the "remove" part. It just copies it to the new location.

It sounds like maybe your iTunes music folder is not writeable. So it can't update the ID3 tags, and it can't copy any new music into it. I would check in Explorer to see whether you can rename or move files around in there. If you can't, then it's a Windows problem, not an iTunes problems.
posted by smackfu at 6:09 AM on August 16, 2007

this usually means that your MP3 files are read-only for some reason. if you copied them to a DVD, and then onto your new PC, they can be flagged read-only accidentally.

On my old computer (PC running XP, some previous version of iTunes), I had a special folder for new MP3s that I hadn't listened to yet. I would click on a file in that folder, and iTunes would remove it from the folder, put it in its proper place (i.e., a folder for the album inside a folder for the artist), and play the track. It no longer works this way--the file just stays in the original folder. I have "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" checked. What am I doing wrong? Or is this just something they changed on this version of iTunes?

As far as I'm aware, this is what iTunes has always done - copy the file to the library, but leave the original file untouched.
posted by ascullion at 8:31 AM on August 16, 2007

Thanks, ascullion! Your answer led me to check the permissions on my iTunes folder, and for some reason (probably Vista-related) my user account didn't have read/write permission on that folder. I fixed it, and now both things are back to normal--I can edit track info, and it removes the songs from the download folder and puts them in album/artist folders.
posted by goatdog at 8:30 PM on August 16, 2007

no problem, happy to help!
posted by ascullion at 2:52 PM on August 17, 2007

« Older Political Theory   |   Ticket flying to another state. Newer »