Finding a therapist for a 4-year-old.
August 14, 2007 11:13 AM   Subscribe

Help my friend find a mental health professional for her 4-year-old in Los Angeles.

My friend is recently divorced from her husband. Said husband is using the child to manipulate my friend. Obviously, this is having detrimental effects for the child. My friend would like to find a mental health professional that would be willing to testify to the effects of his behavior. We are located in the Glendale/Burbank area, but she would be willing to travel to find someone who would be willing to go to court for the custody hearings.
posted by kamikazegopher to Human Relations (4 answers total)
The LA Chapter of the California Association for Marriage and Family Therapists has a referral line, listed on their website as (323) 964-3200 x 1. It might be a good place to start.
posted by occhiblu at 11:34 AM on August 14, 2007

The child's pediatrician should be able to give the name of a therapist or two in your friend's area.
posted by kitty teeth at 3:09 PM on August 14, 2007

I know of several university professors who also own private practices and do this sort of thing on the east coast. I don't know much about the academic institutions in LA but I presume there will be at least one faculty member in a given university with a private practice who specializes in child psychology and can assist. Good luck to your friend.
posted by ml98tu at 3:44 PM on August 14, 2007

I just did a quick google search and found the Association for Play Therapy. Hope this helps.

Also, I hope the parents are seeking help for the issue, whatever it may be. Effective therapy with children is very difficult without the support of the whole family system and each member's commitment to the progress of the family system and to one another.

Okay, I hope that 2nd paragraph did not offend you, I'm getting my master's in counseling (although IANALPC-- I am not a Licensed Professional Counselor) and felt it was worth putting out there.

Be at peace.
posted by mynameismandab at 8:26 PM on August 14, 2007

« Older Immigration: Alternative forms of evidence of...   |   Help me find an awesome flatbed scanner! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.