Belated Paternity Inclusion
August 14, 2007 9:13 AM   Subscribe

Can I get my birth certificate changed to list my father?

At the time of my birth, my mother chose to list my father as 'undeclared'. I later tracked him down, and have a DNA test to prove the relationship. I would like to change my mono-parent status under law. I'm an adult, and well past the point when I have anything to gain by it legally, but I want to get my Canadian (Quebec) birth certificate altered to include him instead of just a mystery.
posted by Phalene to Law & Government (5 answers total)
your canadian mileage may vary, but in the U.S. it depends on how cooperative the parent is.

with a cooperative parent you need him to sign some sort of acknowledgment form, and both parents to sign the new birth certificate application. (all notarized)

with an uncooperative parent, you need a court order of paternity and one parent's signature on the application.
posted by uaudio at 10:03 AM on August 14, 2007

Email the Province of Quebec's birth certificate department. (Directeur de l'etate civil) Ask them if they permit you to amend a birth certificate to show now proven paternity. Tell them your birth certificate currently shows unstated paternity. You'll probably need a joint request form, affadavit or declaration of paternity form. You will most likely need this to be witnessed and notarized. It may be expensive, depending on your budget.
posted by acoutu at 10:10 AM on August 14, 2007 [1 favorite]

This page at Educaloi gives some information about filiation and legally changing/amending it. It's written from the point of view of the parent wishing to establish filiation, but it may help you figure out what the steps are.
posted by katemonster at 10:35 AM on August 14, 2007

Follow up:

I think he's willing to scribble on paperwork, but I think getting my mother to sign anything would be pulling teeth. I may have to wait a bit longer with this because I don't want to give my somewhat insecure mother they impression I'm rejecting her by wanting to include him. However, the information suggests my stepfather has a stronger legal standing, no matter what I think of the situation. Booooooo! :(
posted by Phalene at 11:18 AM on August 14, 2007

I'd still email Quebec to ask for details. You might be pleasantly surprised, for example.
posted by acoutu at 11:33 AM on August 14, 2007

« Older Identify this instrumental accordion piece   |   Stuck with some Sticky Hands Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.